556 ammo at pre panic prices?

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
Does anyone know where I can buy 556 ammo, bulk or otherwise, at pre panic prices? My new rifle will arrive soon and its going to be hungry.

I know this is asking a lot these days, but id rather not sell any organs to afford ammo.

If I can find someone who doesn't price gouge, ill probably stick with them after things are back to normal too.

Last edited:

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Like $15 dollar boxes?

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
Like $15 dollar boxes?
Now that you give me a price, im not even sure I remember what pre panic prices were. Wasn't the steel case stuff less than $0.50/round? $15/box is the cheapest I've seen so far though.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
There are only a few ways you are going to find close to reasonable prices these days (forget pre panic prices)

1. a big box store like academy or bass pro and you happen to find it in stock
2. you have a friend that is feeling generous and wants to help you out
3. you do dirty things in exchange for ammo lol

Pre-panic prices for 223/556 were about 18-19 cents per round for steel case and about 26 to 29 cents per round for basic level brass case (like wolf gold) and went up from there as brand and quality improved. You could get good name brand brass case for 35 cents per round

70 cents per round for steel case right now is about average, your deal would be found on shipping (or avoiding tax)

I have also seen deals a natchez and brownells online, but usually sells out in minutes, Sig Sauer sells ammo direct to the public from their web page, but again, you have to be quick sells out in minutes.

Ghostman153

Established Member
Dec 23, 2020
Enterprise
I have a case of lake city brass cased 55gr for $800 if you want to come by Enterprise. Otherwise, I’ll be in Montgomery this weekend.