556 defense loads

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
Any recommendations for 556 defense loads? I'd prefer to keep it in the 55 to 62 gr area. I probably won't be using my ar inside of my house for self defense and live in a rural area so over penitration is isn't a big concern but barier blindness is a big plus. Feel free to share what yall keep loaded and why even if you dont think it fits what im looking for.

Edit: I'll be using a 20 inch barrel btw

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
300 AAC Blackout Subsonic defense rounds

16"barrel, fairly standard mil spec AR with a standard 30 rd mag

easy to control and tons of take down power

If I had to pick a 223 defense round, would probably go with

223 REM 62GR SPEER DUTY RIFLE GOLD DOT SOFT POINT​

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
While a .223 is not my first-choice of an indoor defense gun, I’m an AR fan and, in line with @kenny1773 ’s post above, have kept some soft-point ammo on-hand at times for just that.

Not to open a can o’ worms, but lately I’ve grown mighty fond of a PSA 9mm AR for the role, loaded with 115gr JHPs.

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
I have used many different types of ammo doing a bunch of testing for expansion and the like. Without using purpose made rounds I would be wary of a rifle for HD due to over penetration concerns.
That said, there are some rounds purpose made for your use :)
I am a BIG fan of CORBON stuff. The DPX stuff for hunting is amazing, but that isn't your need. The Urban Response JHP would likely suit your requirements quite well.
Just my .02