6.5 Creedmoor Loads

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
I have a Tikka T3x CTR. I have tested 140 Nosler RDF's and 140 Hornady ELD-M's. I have not seen a huge difference between the two accuracy wise. Velocities are higher with the RDF's. Lower SD numbers with the ELDM's. What bullets are you using? Just trying to get a feel for what everyone is using.

LAHunter

Jun 6, 2021
Deer Park
I know you posted this a while back. Availability is still a huge problem for me. I was able to find Hornady 140 grain BTHP match and lucked up on some PPU 139 grain SP for hunting. My Marlin and Savage both really like the Hornady match bullets. My son's Ruger shoots 140 match and 140SSTs to same zero.

American Patriot

American Patriot
Army
May 8, 2021
Hoover
Probably not helpful since I'm running a 6.5 SAUM, but I'm shooting 129 ABLR. Would like to be running the 142 ABLR but currently not enough FB. I'll fix that when I rebarrel. Those are my hunting rounds. Was running 139 JLKS, but wasn't getting blood under 200 yards.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
I know you posted this a while back. Availability is still a huge problem for me. I was able to find Hornady 140 grain BTHP match and lucked up on some PPU 139 grain SP for hunting. My Marlin and Savage both really like the Hornady match bullets. My son's Ruger shoots 140 match and 140SSTs to same zero.
I settled on the 140 Hornady ELD-M’s. I have not shot in a few months now. You know the story. It is work, fishing and not being able to find components. I have a load that is giving me sub 10FPS on my SD numbers.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
Probably not helpful since I'm running a 6.5 SAUM, but I'm shooting 129 ABLR. Would like to be running the 142 ABLR but currently not enough FB. I'll fix that when I rebarrel. Those are my hunting rounds. Was running 139 JLKS, but wasn't getting blood under 200 yards.
How fast are you pushing those pills?

American Patriot

American Patriot
Army
May 8, 2021
Hoover
How fast are you pushing those pills?
I can push them up around 3300 if desired (24" barrel) , but that's on the upper end, and I'm not an upper end type person; especially, on a hunting gun. All hunting guns have to survive a water check after the load is developed.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
I can push them up around 3300 if desired (24" barrel) , but that's on the upper end, and I'm not an upper end type person; especially, on a hunting gun. All hunting guns have to survive a water check after the load is developed.

That is screaming. I think I am pushing my Hornady 140’s around 2780fps.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
Water Check? You shoot into water to check for bullet expansion? When you say you were not getting blood under 200 yards, you really mean massive bullet expansion and large exit hole? I.E. more blood flow

American Patriot

American Patriot
Army
May 8, 2021
Hoover
Water Check? You shoot into water to check for bullet expansion? When you say you were not getting blood under 200 yards, you really mean massive bullet expansion and large exit hole? I.E. more blood flow
A water check is performed in the chamber of the gun to make sure it's not over pressure when wet and the gun is fired. Since hunting conditions are often wet.

A lot of folks like to run hot loads for speed, but many will not be able to pass a the water check with those type loads. Since water doesn't compress it will cause excess pressure when the weapon is fired, and that will often lead to a locked up bolt or blowing a primer.

If the load is backed down the weapon will still perform normally even if wet. The load is still worked up for accuracy, but a lower node may be selected to prevent over pressure if the chamber is wet. If the lower node doesn't pass the check I would even consider a new powder or primer, and rework the load.

For me I would rather have a functional firearm in less than ideal conditions over speed.

American Patriot

American Patriot
Army
May 8, 2021
Hoover
That is screaming. I think I am pushing my Hornady 140’s around 2780fps.
Real quick let me correct something. The JLK pills I was running were 135s, and they ran around the 3200 mark. The 129s are what I can reach over 3200 with. I don't think I can fully get to 3300 with the 129s, but can get fairly close. I need to figure out where or how to edit my post on this forum.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
A water check is performed in the chamber of the gun to make sure it's not over pressure when wet and the gun is fired. Since hunting conditions are often wet.

A lot of folks like to run hot loads for speed, but many will not be able to pass a the water check with those type loads. Since water doesn't compress it will cause excess pressure when the weapon is fired, and that will often lead to a locked up bolt or blowing a primer.

If the load is backed down the weapon will still perform normally even if wet. The load is still worked up for accuracy, but a lower node may be selected to prevent over pressure if the chamber is wet. If the lower node doesn't pass the check I would even consider a new powder or primer, and rework the load.

For me I would rather have a functional firearm in less than ideal conditions over speed.
I see what you are talking about with the water test. Water, dirt, grass can keep a bolt action from locking. I think it important to fully size your brass for field condition. The link below talks about it.

American Patriot

American Patriot
Army
May 8, 2021
Hoover
I see what you are talking about with the water test. Water, dirt, grass can keep a bolt action from locking. I think it important to fully size your brass for field condition. The link below talks about it.
Yea the over pressure will keep the bolt from opening to chamber the next round. You'll fire, and want be able to lift the bolt to extract the round.

I've always full length resized. Neck sizing only is not the best way. I'm sure someone will possibly disagree with that; always happens, but there are many benefits from FL sizing and non for neck only in my opinion.

Pillpeddler

Established Member
Sep 16, 2021
Anniston
Am pat, what are you loading under that ABLR. I have a 6.5 saum but haven’t tried that bullet in it yet.

American Patriot

American Patriot
Army
May 8, 2021
Hoover
Just now getting the load development started, so not fully set just yet. It has taken longer than expected to pop the 250 cases; mainly, due to honey do projects.