6.5 Creedmore

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
What do you think about this 6.5 I have watch hours of youtube seeing how the round does but for a large purchase like the rpr I think I will pass. I know ruger came out with the amercian 6.5 and even walmart has now started to carry the round but I think I may just get a 308 still.

Any thoughts or first hand experience?

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I know this post is a little old, but I am new so just saw it. :p

I have a friend that usually beats out 60 other shooters with a Savage bolt action 6.5 Creedmoor in PRS shooting match out to 1000 + yards

I have shot his rifle personally at 300 yards and could not miss a 6" steel (literally could not miss, I was shocked)

I like this round so much (don't care as much for bolt actions) that I am in the process of building a 6.5 Creedmoor Upper for my AR10 (currently has a .308 upper).

I just got the last couple parts in today, hoping to get out to the range and get the scope sighted in tomorrow, once I get that done, I will try to head to The CMP and see what it can do at 600.

My friend loads his own ammo, uses nothing but Berger bullets, I don't have any reloading equipment at this point in my life, so I am just going to go with off the shelf, have 3 brands in hand to try out and see what my gun will like. There are many more I can try if none of these are a winner.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
plan on it :) I did get it finished, just got the scope bore sighted, everything is looking good
Now if the weather will give me a little break tomorrow, I will try to get the barrel broken in a little and see what kind of groups I can get out of at 100 yards.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I do, I have a couple problems with this build that I need to work out, was getting a lot of failure to feeds. I am pretty sure I know why, was only happening on the lighter loads, never had an issue with the Hornady 140gr

Here are a couple of pics, the one target is a 15 shot group, I was just trying to figure out the trend and still dialing in the scope

The 5 shot group was my best for the day, but very disappointing. I figured the ar10 would have a little less accuracy than the savage bolt my friend has, but this is downright crappy at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 65c 5 shot target.jpg
    65c 5 shot target.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 65c15 shot target.jpg
    65c15 shot target.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 3

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
yes my 6.5 AR10 has a 22" barrel, my friends Savage bolt is a 26" barrel. I have not put the chrono on mine yet, but I figure I am getting 75-90 fps less, should not matter at 100 yards

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-...el-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor/

6.5 AR10s can be a bit quirky (they are not like AR15s or even like 308 AR10s) I expected to do a little gun tweaking and experimenting with ammo

I need to double check my gas block alignment
and I also think I have a really heavy buffer in the lower to handle the 180gr 308s, I am going to try with a lighter buffer

I could also have an issue with my older BCG not being truly compatible with 6.5

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
well one thing I found out is that I should get out a tape measure before I call something bad LOL

so the 5 shot group that was my best of the day was really a 1.25 inch center to center, so not crap like I first assumed (just looking at the spread and eyeballing it, looked more like 2 inches to me)

The ammo I was using for that group was Hornady Black 140, also not really 'match grade' ammo, I am going to say not bad at this point for a new gun and me not being 100% behind the trigger that day

as for feeding issues, going to start by putting in a new buffer spring (I really have no memory of what spring is in it) and going to put the standard carbine 308 3.8oz buffer in (currently has a 5.something oz heavy buffer in it) that alone may do it. I am also going to order a 6.5 specifically rated BCG.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Hmm that at 100 yards sounds pretty good. The break-in may help also. I am interested in the build as I would like one sometime.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I meant to post this pic too, the gun at the range ;)

Its mostly Aero
Upper and upper parts are Aero
Barrel is a Ballistic Advantage 22" Fluted Ultra Match SS (matte finish)
BCG Aero
Lower and lower parts are Aero
Trigger is Rise Armament RA 140
grip is Ergo Tactical
Stock Magpul
Scope is a Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 6-24 x50
Scope Mount is a Nikon one piece with built in 20 moa

all looks good on paper ;)

Attachments

• 6.5creedmoorupperatrange2.jpg
    6.5creedmoorupperatrange2.jpg
    851.4 KB · Views: 6

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Hard to say for the complete gun as I am swapping stuff around
The original factory built Aero Precision 308 AR10 I bought used from someone that needed cash now. I paid $1200 for it, I do still have and shoot the 308 regularly (that upper has it's own scope)
part of the point of the 6.5 upper was to save money on the lower and the BCG up front and if I decided to I could build another lower up later

For the complete 6.5 upper minus BCG is $380 (22" barrel, gas block/tube, upper, upper parts kit, hand guard, etc) - this is a killer price for this upper

Swapping around charging handle and BCG along with the lower for now. If the need arises I will make this it's own gun, if not, will leave as a swap around. The extra upper fits nicely in a 2 gun case ;)
About $100 in the scope mount
and $360 in the scope (ridiculously low price for a first focal plane)

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
ok got some Hornady Match 140 gr, replaced the spring in the buffer tube with a tubbs flat wire
no more jams

[I am pretty sure I had installed a much heavier spring to shoot 180gr 308s in this lower, no need for that with the 6.5 creedmoor upper on it, much less kick]

and now getting 1 MOA groups at 100 yards

Now I just need to work on me, I know this setup can do .75 MOA or better, but confident I can go out to longer ranges with it now.

Attachments

• 6.5-target-1moa-s.jpg
    6.5-target-1moa-s.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 1

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
You are probably correct that at 500 yards or less I will be more of a limiting factor than the gun or the caliber chosen :) :)

I eventually want to shoot out to 1000 yards, and hit a realistic sized target (I know I am not hitting a 6" pie plate at that range). For now, the 600 yard range at the CMP in Talladega is my next step.

I am just having fun, this isn't competition or anything for me, and I don't even hunt, just a casual shooter. I just like to shoot.

This place looks interesting https://rockfordgunclub.com/facilities

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Working on this as I get time. I am ready to hit Talladega now and go for 600

I borrowed a chrono so now I know my average FPS with the ammo I am shooting is about 2770. I know I am going to need to dial out about 80 inches of drop at 600 yards, roughly 3.7 MILS

I did a tall target type test and my scope is dialing true (and is level). I dialed up 6 MILS and went back down without an issue (my 'cross lines' on the tall target are not exactly 3.6, but close enough)

Attachments

• 65CM-TallTarget-test-sm.jpg
    65CM-TallTarget-test-sm.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 2

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
and here is another 10 shot target (this was not done with my preferred ammo, I have some cheaper stuff I am practicing with. That flier is real, I did not feel like I made any mistakes on this group (other than my normal jiggling, lol)

Attachments

• 65CM 10 shot target group-sm.jpg
    65CM 10 shot target group-sm.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 1

Rayd8

Established Member
Army
Feb 11, 2019
Rocket City
Historically, I’ve been a 308 shooter and have shot it out to 1000 yards. 2 years ago, I was invited to Gunwerks in WY (no I don’t own one of their guns, but they sure are nice). Anyway, they had steel coyotes out to 800, steel pigs at 1000, and a steel ek at 1300. I was able to hit these consistently with 6.5CM and it basically changed my philosophy. I think it’s a flatter round and I plan to swap my AR10 upper.

I picked up a Savage 6.5 from Cabelas and it’s been pretty consistent. My only complaint is that it’s heavy. Took 4 deer and 2 hogs last year.

200 yard target, but only 3 shots.
8644BC7A-F29F-41A5-B736-D42A03ACBA21.jpeg