6.5CM Bolt Action Rifle - Target Shooting

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I have been thinking about picking up a bolt action in 6.5CM mostly for light competition and general target shooting. I could possibly go out to 1000 yards with it, but not looking to be a competitive shooter, just trying to have some fun. I am not going to hunt with it.

A couple options I have considered

Savage 12
Howa - a couple of models
Bergara - but the price, ouch

Right now I am partial to buying a Howa 1500 barreled action and an MDT chassis to mate to it. I think this will give me what I am after for the least cost, and be the most familiar to me since I like to shoot ARs

I also saw a deal on a Weatherby Vanguard Modular for about $800 +shipping that seems to good to pass up (the action is made by Howa for them and is basically a Howa 1500)

I am just worried the 20 inch barrel isn't going to cut it.

Any suggestions?

Rayd8

Established Member
Army
Feb 11, 2019
Rocket City
I have the Cabelas Savage 10T:

Which I picked up 2 yrs ago when they had $100 rebate. Add in Veteran discount and it was a pretty good deal. I think it’s a great value for the price. I can shoot under an moa and I’ve taken 4 deer and 2 pigs. The only thing I changed was to add an AAC 51T brake so I can put the suppressor on.

I have looked at the barreled actions and would like to do that myself once the 224 is complete. I was researching chassis options and from a price point was liking the budget MDT:

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I have seen that article on barrel length, my problem is I have a good friend that is a PRS shooter and I listen to him too much ;) He competes so everything matters to him, even squeezing an extra 10 FPS out of a bullet for those 1200 yard shots.

I think I found another contender

Savage 10BA STEALTH in 6.5CM

I do like the idea of my bolt gun feeling a little more like an AR than a traditional hunting rifle. I found a ton of info on the Savage 10BA STEALTH, my friend said that he sees a few guys compete with them and place fairly well. I found one for a little over $800 and Savage has a rebate going on at the moment, so this might be the winner, going to think on it for another day or so.

Rayd8

Established Member
Army
Feb 11, 2019
Rocket City
I think Savage prices are pretty good, particularly if they have a rebate. Do you shoot PRS? I knew A guy that did that, but all of his stuff was custom assembled and gunsmithed.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I just got a cash price deal on Bud's that was too good to pass up on the Savage Stealth, I ordered it, should have it in a week or so. I think I might just pick up another vortex scope that is exactly like the one on my AR 10. I like it.

I do not shoot PRS, I just don't have enough time and energy to dedicate to anything like that, I like to shoot to challenge myself and see that I can do better the more and more I shoot.

Eventually I want to own enough land to just shoot long distance on my own, got to get my kids all graduated and on their own first ;)

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Hoping to get my hands on the Savage Stealth early next week
also ordered a 20 MOA rail and a
vortex viper pst gen ii 5-25x50 ffp ebr-2c mrad to go along with it

I have used one of these scopes before on a friends gun and knew one day I would own one, I really like them

Now I get to start the scope leveling and sight in process all over again (after having just done it on the AR10)

Rayd8

Established Member
Army
Feb 11, 2019
Rocket City
The Vortex was the first scope I went to 1000 with...on a 308 AR.

I historically use Larue mounts and their CAN mounts are pretty cheap right now. Anyway, I use a feeler gauge on the bottom of the elevation turret to square it to the mount. Then I’ll set in/out position by looking at sight picture. Then bore sight at about 100yds. Bullet impact is on paper within a few inches. Dial it in at that point.

I used to use multiple levels and plumb lines, but I don’t feel like it did anything but make scope mounting more complicated.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
there is something about old dogs and new tricks ;)

I am a multi level and plumb line trained scope installer. I am sure both ways work fine, but my confidence in the levels method went up a notch after the 600 yard shoot with the ar10 ;)

I am using an EGW rail (rail options are limited for the stealth, but this seemed decent) and Warne rings (recommendation from a friend)

I will bore sight it, and yes usually get on paper with first shot at 100 yards (USUALLY ;) ) we will see, still don't have the gun yet, looks like shipping delays. Got everything else ready to go, hopefully will have the gun tomorrow.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
So far I like it, well for a bolt gun, I still don't think bolt guns will ever be #1 for me ;)

Once I got it dialed in, my groups were all sub MOA at 100 yards. I had a little scope mistake trying to set my turrets to zero, should have read the instructions ;) so I had to dial it in twice and was really short on time.

I think if I spend a little time with this gun I can be where I want to be with it. Initial report is positive, and once I get use to it I think I can expect to see 3/4 or better MOA out of it.

Next upgrades will be a better stock, looking at a Luth AR MB3 and a muzzle break of some sorts.

I need one more day at the 100 yard range to do the tall target test, then I will take this one out to the CMP and see what it looks like at 600 yards

Rayd8

Established Member
Army
Feb 11, 2019
Rocket City
That’s awesome. I’d really like to make a trip down to that range. We have a local state one here with 100. I really need to check 100 yard impacts with all my rifles....and tune gas on the 224.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I ordered a bunch of add ons for the Stealth, so will install all those before any more testing. The grip and stock are just to make it feel more like my ARs

Magpul ACS stock
Ergo tactical grip
Harris Bi-pod swivel model 9-13"

and soon to be ordered a self timing VG6 muzzle break (this way I can choose to have it on or off with ease)

The next time I hit the CMP, I want to shoot this rifle out to 600. I also want to try the 308 upper on the AR10 at 600 yards. I need to get the scope on the 308 sighted in a little better and get familiar with dialing it (its my only Primary Arms branded scope and I am just not use to it). I am planning more visits in the near future ;)

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
got the stock, so I figured I would try it out

I am learning this gun does not like the Hornady match eld 140s like the AR10 did, it prefers the Federal Gold Medal SMK 140s
very consistent .7 something groups with them

I am going to try a couple more ammo types at this point, I was hoping the Hornady 140 ELDs would tighten up but they never did.

pic of group with federal

Attachments

• stealth-federal smk 140-2.jpg
    stealth-federal smk 140-2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 3

Rayd8

Established Member
Army
Feb 11, 2019
Rocket City
Nice! I’ll try and get my rifles dialed in at 100 here so we can make a trip down there to the NRA range. I’d like to get down there soon, but I’m thinking after the heat breaks is more realistic.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I need at least one more 100 yard range day with the bolt action before I am ready for the CMP with it. It will happen at some point, I am not in a hurry (and I am ok going on a weekday, just need to time it right with work)

At this point I am waiting on some more ammo to arrive and of course some accessories that are taking forever to ship.

The heat doesn't bother me too much, I will shoot in 90 + degree weather as long as I can sit in the shade ;)

There is no such thing as too many trips to the range :)

Rayd8

Established Member
Army
Feb 11, 2019
Rocket City
I’ve learned that you have better time/work/kids and heat management skills than I do.

Can’t remover what bullet your shooting. Mine was pretty happy with Hornady 147gr match ELD.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
LOL :)

It's really just random, I decided not to do other things I needed to and just went shooting. As for the heat, its a little more than I like, but what can you do other than drink lots of water.

I was using the Horrnady 140 gr ELD match

I also have some ELD 147 gr but never tried those in the stealth

When I get more Federal Gold SMK and go back to the 100 yard I will try them all again just to confirm. I am ok with shooting Federal gold SMK in this if that is what it likes.

The ammo that really shocks me is the $12/box sellier and bellot 6.5 FMJ 140 gr, for half the cost of the others I get groups in the .8-.9 range with it in the stealth and again in the 1.1 - 1.2 range in the AR10.