7 mm magnum for whitetail

gejshooter

Established Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mandeville, LA
I’m looking at a good deal on a used 7MM magnum bolt action rifle. I will hunt Whitetail deer almost exclusively. What are your thoughts for the 7MM versus 308, 30-06, and 270. I hunt in South Mississippi and most shots are 300 yards and under. Thanks.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
My dad hunted with a 7mm magnum when I was a kid. It'll do the job good but tbh I think it's a bit overkill for Southern whitetail unless you're hunting them at unreasonably long range. He eventually sold it and got a .30-06 then sold that and got a .30-.30.

I hunt with a 7mm-08 myself and it's pretty much perfect for what you're describing.

5lima30ret

Established Member
Feb 15, 2024
Foley, AL
My dad hunted with a 7mm magnum when I was a kid. It'll do the job good but tbh I think it's a bit overkill for Southern whitetail unless you're hunting them at unreasonably long range. He eventually sold it and got a .30-06 then sold that and got a .30-.30.

I hunt with a 7mm-08 myself and it's pretty much perfect for what you're describing.
^^^This is good advice!^^^ I would add .243 to the list. Both the 7mm-08 and .243 are much easier on the shoulder! I hunted with a guy in New Mexico years ago that got a Mule deer and an Elk every year with a .243. Good luck!

RaySendero

Established Member
Feb 5, 2024
USsouth
My favorite whitetail deer rifle is a scoped bolt action 270 Winchester.
However, any of those you mentioned will work, too.
I’m looking at a good deal on a used 7MM magnum bolt action rifle. I will hunt Whitetail deer almost exclusively. What are your thoughts for the 7MM versus 308, 30-06, and 270. I hunt in South Mississippi and most shots are 300 yards and under. Thanks.

Fishkat

Established Member
Feb 14, 2024
Birmingham
A 7RM makes a fine all around hunting rifle if using the right style bullet. I use 180gr Berger hunting bullets in my 7RM with great success on whitetail, mule deer, aoudad and sheep. The bullet basically goes in about six inches and dumps all its energy. I've never had the bullet exit and the animal just usually drop in their tracks. I also use 6.5 Creedmoor and 308.
Now a little bragging, my trophy whitetail taken with a 7RM at about 300yds.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    343.8 KB · Views: 6

gejshooter

Established Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mandeville, LA
A 7RM makes a fine all around hunting rifle if using the right style bullet. I use 180gr Berger hunting bullets in my 7RM with great success on whitetail, mule deer, aoudad and sheep. The bullet basically goes in about six inches and dumps all its energy. I've never had the bullet exit and the animal just usually drop in their tracks. I also use 6.5 Creedmoor and 308.
Now a little bragging, my trophy whitetail taken with a 7RM at about 300yds.
Great deer. Thanks for responding.

Wooddux1

Established Member
Dec 24, 2021
Hueytown
7mm is a good round, I have a M77 I load for and it's taken numerous deer . Does kick a bit though.. As I've gotten older I've switched to 308 and 7mm08. For 100 yards and in ive gotten to taking a 300 blk out with 165 gr grand slams. Light and easy to shoot.

Lance

Established Member
Jun 6, 2021
Monroe County
This season, I took deer with a .50 muzzleloader, a 7mm Rem. Mag, a .30/06, a 7mm-08 and a .300 RUM.

None of then moved an inch other than straight down. And none complained that the shot was either underpowered or overpowered.

Get the rifle that fits you best, from any reputable manufacturer, in any reasonable chambering. Get **VERY*GOOD** glass mounted. Practice as much as you can, until you and the rifle and the scope merge into one single unit. You'll be fine.

AlabamaLarry

Established Member
Jan 7, 2021
S. Huntsville, AL
7mm is a good round, I have a M77 I load for and it's taken numerous deer . Does kick a bit though.. As I've gotten older I've switched to 308 and 7mm08. For 100 yards and in ive gotten to taking a 300 blk out with 165 gr grand slams. Light and easy to shoot.
After five shoulder surgeries three right two left I started shooting Air rifles the recoil is super light, I also hunt with a Texan SS .457 I am comfortable taking game at out to 140 yds. Here in Alabama that's about the max you will usually see.

gejshooter

Established Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mandeville, LA
This season, I took deer with a .50 muzzleloader, a 7mm Rem. Mag, a .30/06, a 7mm-08 and a .300 RUM.

None of then moved an inch other than straight down. And none complained that the shot was either underpowered or overpowered.

Get the rifle that fits you best, from any reputable manufacturer, in any reasonable chambering. Get **VERY*GOOD** glass mounted. Practice as much as you can, until you and the rifle and the scope merge into one single unit. You'll be fine.
Thanks. We ended up with some great deals on two rifles and two scopes. For my son, a new Weatherby Vanguard 2 in 30-06. And I put a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 3x9x40 on it. For me, a Howa 1500 in 308, with a Nikon M-308 scope. We spent one day at the range getting the guns zeroed. Now, we need to improve our shooting.

Lance

Established Member
Jun 6, 2021
Monroe County
Thanks. We ended up with some great deals on two rifles and two scopes. For my son, a new Weatherby Vanguard 2 in 30-06. And I put a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 3x9x40 on it. For me, a Howa 1500 in 308, with a Nikon M-308 scope. We spent one day at the range getting the guns zeroed. Now, we need to improve our shooting.
You got 2 great rifles, made in the same factory. I've never owned a Bushnell riflescope, but I hear that they have a good reputation. If the Nikon Omega scope on my T-C Omega muzzleloader is a fair example of the overall quality of Nikon's products, you will very pleased with it.

gejshooter

Established Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mandeville, LA
You got 2 great rifles, made in the same factory. I've never owned a Bushnell riflescope, but I hear that they have a good reputation. If the Nikon Omega scope on my T-C Omega muzzleloader is a fair example of the overall quality of Nikon's products, you will very pleased with it.
Thanks Lance. I am learning that the forum members like good info. In my opinion, the Weatherby Vanguard is overall a better rifle than the Howa. The differences are small, but I will list them. The vanguard has a 24" barrel, the bolt is slightly smoother, and the stock is definitely better (stiffer, heavier, more solid).

Lance

Established Member
Jun 6, 2021
Monroe County
Agree with you on the Howa stock. But their design makes it easy to rout a groove in the inside and epoxy in an aluminum bar to stiffen it. Works well.