99% of the caliber debate is pointless.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
I've said this about rifles for home defense as well. People go down some serious rabbit holes when it comes to personal defense rounds. For hunting, I can get behind some of the squabbling to an extent. Otherwise just get whatever works for you and your firearm. That doesn't mean I don't like testing new stuff or just doing stuff for shits n giggles though.

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
I've said this about rifles for home defense as well. People go down some serious rabbit holes when it comes to personal defense rounds. For hunting, I can get behind some of the squabbling to an extent. Otherwise just get whatever works for you and your firearm. That doesn't mean I don't like testing new stuff or just doing stuff for shits n giggles though.
Idk about rifles. As murky as terminal balistics in general are, it gets even worse when it comes to rifles. Rifles are almost always more deadly than pistols. This is because temporary cavitation matters at rifle velocities. The problem is trying to compare two rifle cartridges. You can compare their penetration in gel, but as far as I know, we have no repeatable way of measuring the damage temporary cavitation does.