Advice on non AR 5.56 firearms

rocketcitygunner

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
I am considering adding a new 5.56 chambered gun to my collection. Thinking about going with some sort of bullpup or something else that is not a typical AR build. Just curious if anyone with experience of owning guns like an IWI Tavor, a Steyr AUG, or something like a CZ Bren can give me advice on pros and cons of these platforms.

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
Tavor and AUG are proven designs. Bullpups by their design require very long trigger bars to reach the firing pin release mechanism and therefore make the bullpups triggers mushy with lots of "take-up" and that turns off a lot of American shooters used to better triggers. The FN2000 is well regarded but I don't even know if FN builds or imports it anymore. The idea of a less than 36 inch long rifle with a 16 or 20 inch barrel is a good idea. The Brits searching houses and buildings in Ireland with full length FN-FAL's is rumored to be the reason they went with probably the worst bullpup in modern history, the SA-80.

Remmy21

Established Member
Jan 11, 2022
Fort rucker
So I have an aug, I was in the same boat as you. Just tired of the ar platform. I never shot the tavor but when I held it I wasn’t too impressed with the feel and I think finding a fn would be extremely hard. There are some other options out there such as desert tech, keltec, and the new Springfield hellion. Out of all these guns only one has been fielded since the 70’s which is the aug. Takedown is super easy and for maintenance I believe it requires 5 or 6 drops of lube. Now some cons, yes the trigger isn’t amazing. Almost like a mil spec ar, and the aftermarket parts are super limited. Try and hold some, see what feels good to you. I’ll attach a picture of mine with a Burris rt6 (42 rounder mag is insterted but empty with open bolt) gotta show off the waffle mag

Attachments

• B93FE83A-78FA-461F-864C-658D67AABF03.jpeg
    B93FE83A-78FA-461F-864C-658D67AABF03.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

rocketcitygunner

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
So I have an aug, I was in the same boat as you. Just tired of the ar platform. I never shot the tavor but when I held it I wasn’t too impressed with the feel and I think finding a fn would be extremely hard. There are some other options out there such as desert tech, keltec, and the new Springfield hellion. Out of all these guns only one has been fielded since the 70’s which is the aug. Takedown is super easy and for maintenance I believe it requires 5 or 6 drops of lube. Now some cons, yes the trigger isn’t amazing. Almost like a mil spec ar, and the aftermarket parts are super limited. Try and hold some, see what feels good to you. I’ll attach a picture of mine with a Burris rt6 (42 rounder mag is insterted but empty with open bolt) gotta show off the waffle mag
That is one bad ass bullpup!

Sam O

Established Member
Feb 3, 2016
Eva, AL
I’ve got a kel-tec RDB, I haven’t really shot it much (maybe a mag or 2). For what it is I think they are currently overpriced. I got mine used and several months before Covid hit. The forend is a little wobbly and there are after market ones I’ve considered. A pro and a con is that it is downward ejecting, but if there’s a malfunction you’d have to take the mag out and turn the gun over. I still like it because it’s odd, but one of the other options might be better for the same money.

kmann

Established Member
Feb 6, 2022
Gardendale
I am considering adding a new 5.56 chambered gun to my collection. Thinking about going with some sort of bullpup or something else that is not a typical AR build. Just curious if anyone with experience of owning guns like an IWI Tavor, a Steyr AUG, or something like a CZ Bren can give me advice on pros and cons of these platforms.
I’ve got a CZ Bren 2 that I’ve had for a year and have put through a few range trips and a vehicle defense course and I have to highly recommend it with some minor caveats. It’s a great rifle, reliable, stupid lightweight, and very ergonomic, but the factory brace has a reputation for being wobbly. It’s a minor issue but I’m OCD enough to notice it. Also, I feel that the HBI 10.8 hand guard is a necessity- I hate the short hand guard that it ships with. I don’t much care for the stiff bolt release inside the trigger guard but there’s aftermarket extended ones that I plan to purchase soon to alleviate that issue. I think a CZ Bren 2 fully tricked out with HBI parts is an excellent fighting rifle- also a great suppressor host.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn

Isn't the Springfield Hellion some other company's design that they're just importing for the US market?

Remmy21

Established Member
Jan 11, 2022
Fort rucker
Isn't the Springfield Hellion some other company's design that they're just importing for the US market?
From what I believe it is the vhs-2, I don’t know too much about it. I believe they where having some issues from what I remember

kmann

Established Member
Feb 6, 2022
Gardendale
@OP if you really wanna flex on people, Hoover Tac has a camo FN FS200 in stock as of April 8th. The price was either 3500 or 4000, can’t exactly recall.