AK Capable Gunsmith

specknowsbest

Established Member
Sep 26, 2019
Huntsville, AL
Hey folks,

I'm located in the Huntsville area, and I have a Saiga AK-47 that I want to chop the barrel, replace the gas block, and pin/weld a flash device on, as well as weld up the old holes from its conversion. Would anyone happen to know of any gunsmiths in the area that could do this work? I know Hiram Holt used to be the regular name, however, it doesn't look like he's in the game anymore. I know American Pride Firearms in Harvest is pretty highly spoken of, but I'm cautious. Does anyone have any experience with them, or any other gunsmith in Northern Alabama (southern TN, too) that does excellent work on AKs? I'd prefer not to mail my rifle anywhere, considering how many folks are having guns disappear in the mail between FFLs.

Thanks!

packtray

Established Member
Jul 4, 2017
Alabama
Good news is that you can't swing a dead cat in the TN Valley without hitting a gunsmith with the word "tactical" in their shop's name.

I haven't used any of them, but you wouldn't go wrong with an established one like that one in Harvest. You can't stay in business here as a gunsmith if you're awful. Competition is just too strong.

NyetRifleisfine

Longtime Member
Hey folks,

I'm located in the Huntsville area, and I have a Saiga AK-47 that I want to chop the barrel, replace the gas block, and pin/weld a flash device on, as well as weld up the old holes from its conversion. Would anyone happen to know of any gunsmiths in the area that could do this work? I know Hiram Holt used to be the regular name, however, it doesn't look like he's in the game anymore. I know American Pride Firearms in Harvest is pretty highly spoken of, but I'm cautious. Does anyone have any experience with them, or any other gunsmith in Northern Alabama (southern TN, too) that does excellent work on AKs? I'd prefer not to mail my rifle anywhere, considering how many folks are having guns disappear in the mail between FFLs.

Thanks!
Hiram Holt passed on