AK

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Randolph County
That would certainly be something that @RandallC would need to decide but, on the flip side, where do we stop with categories?

Why doesn't an AK fit in the "rifles" or "pistols" categories, as appropriate, along with ARs, Lever Actions, HK91/PTR91 "roller locks", revolvers, etc., or do we need separate categories for each of those as well?

Food for thought, right? Great discussions by participating members help us grow and maybe an AK category is the right decision... maybe a poll or individual messages to @RandallC would seal the deal or sway the vote!

Personally, my thought is that it is not needed and all AKs should be within the current categories, but my vote is only one of many.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I don’t have a ton of AK experience beyond my father-in-law having owned a ban-era MAK-90 (complete with thumbhole stock) and, later, my ownership of a Romanian SAR-1. Both were robust and just never quit / hiccuped, no matter how hard they were run.

The whole AK family has my respect.

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
Sadly, it does not look as though people are wanting to discuss the merits of the AK after all.
On the contrary! I am an avid AK fan and owner. I could talk about AK's plenty and so could others.
I think what others are saying in short is if we start an AK forum then we'll need to start a AR15 forum, then a M1A/M14 forum, then a FN FAL forum, then a..... well you get the picture.
So instead of doing that just keep this AK thread going on the Long Gun forum so our list of forums aren't a mile long.
However, if Randall is in favor of creating these additional forums I'll definitely support it!
Either way, we really appreciate your thoughts and input!

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I don’t have a ton of AK experience beyond my father-in-law having owned a ban-era MAK-90 (complete with thumbhole stock) and, later, my ownership of a Romanian SAR-1. Both were robust and just never quit / hiccuped, no matter how hard they were run.

The whole AK family has my respect.
I have an SAR-1 I bugged my dad to buy at a gun show back in like 2002 when I was about 12-13; really glad I did and that I still have it. Grand total back then was $330, and they probably go anywhere from about $1,200-$1,500 today. Only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is a threaded barrel but otherwise it's a near perfect copy of an AKM.