Alabama Senate just passed Lifetime Concealed Carry Permits

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
https://yellowhammernews.com/alabam...m_medium=email&utm_term=0_94d4d4c544-5495d4de

What do you guys think of this? I'm personally kinda iffy because while lifetime permits sounds good it means we'll probably never get Constitutional Carry like we should have and that whole database thing worries me because because even though the bill mentions it's for "prohibited persons" they could easily create a secret registry of permit holders.

Magic Show Accident

Established Member
Oct 20, 2020
Fayette
I think it’s a horrible idea. Read the entire bill. It begins as if they are creating a database of people who can’t carry. But they ultimately unfold this plan of allowing a 3rd party data company process your payment, place you into a database, and they think this will only be available to state LE. The program will also do periodic checks to ensure the permit holder hasn’t been arrested, involuntarily committed, or in any circumstance that would normally deny approval of the permit.

So let’s say a Sheila Jackson style bill passes US Congress. Like the one that would require payment of $800 just to process your app, backgrounds, mental health exam, inquiry to your ex wife to determine whether you are “stable” enough to own a gun, 24hrs of in-person gun safety classes. And let’s say you have delayed compliance for any reason (money, time, seeing a mental health professional, or maybe bc AL passes a 2A preservation act). We are completely naive to think this state database won’t be accessed by federal. It absolutely will be accessed. And when the federal gov sees your name on there as a conceal carry holder, they will be contacting you.

I’ve always been a law abiding person, and I support law enforcement, but I hope permit sales take a nose dive. Out of all the fucking state gun bills on the table, this is one fast tracked its way thru. This is nonsense. Gerald Allen voted against this bill. Bc Gerald Allen is on our side. He’s brought a constitutional carry bill to the table every year and doesn’t get support. He brought forth 2nd amendment preservation act bills to the table. One voided out all past federal enforcement. But these sit in limbo and now I have my doubts they will pass.

People with FB or Twitter or other nazi-esque censorship, pls use it for something useful and call these politicians out. I abandoned those social media years ago, but if you choose to use it, use it for your rights. Alabama is full of politically inactive people who won’t care until it’s too late. These politicians need to see the exponential number of gun owners and we need to let them know they can be an extension of our voice or lose their seats.

We had several bills on the table that would give the people of Alabama something. But the bill that gets pushed hardest is the one that would take away. Database at the worst possible time.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Good take friend, the database is unacceptable and if this passes as-is we should all refuse to get or re-up any of our permits. From what I'm hearing it does look like a Constitutional Carry amendment is being added to the bill for the House vote, so hopefully that will pass but in all likelihood it will just kill the bill and we're back to square one which on the bright side means no database.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
I do not support this legistlation.

Before I moved to MA, they had lifetime firearms ID cards until they didn't. When I decided to leave the people's republic of MA, state guns laws weighed heavily on my checklist. AL laws were not constitutional carry but were good. I consider this a step backwards in my opinion.

Last edited: