Alabama state defense force

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
Found out that this existed today and now I'm curious. Anyone know about the state defense force? Is this basically a backup national guard or what? Are members getting military training or are they just unarmed disaster relief?

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
At one time, there was even a specialty license plate for the Alabama SDF. I’d read that it had been disbanded or at least put on-hold of some sort by the state legislature, but I’m thinking that was a few years back. I didn’t realize they were back on-line. I was always a tad unclear of how one became a member, what membership constituted, etc.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
...though there is (from the same article linked above) an organization called the Alabama Volunteers as well.

Randall Ingram

Established Member
Jan 30, 2016
My brother in law is a retired Alabama State Trooper and he told me about it several years ago. He now is a attorney for the state.

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
They are the State Militia that is called upon if the National Guard is all deployed and gone. State really doesn't fund it anymore. Shinbaum's Uniforms in Fungomery used to outfit their uniforms back in the 90's.

DixieReb

Established Member
Jan 31, 2021
Andalusia AL
I remember not too many years ago when the State Defense Force used to run radio ads looking for people to join up. There were a couple of radio stations within my listening area in south Alabama that used to run the ads.