Any fans of the Ithaca Model 37 pump shotgun?

GoneToAle

Established Member
May 12, 2023
PikeCounty
I was just wondering if there were any fans of the Ithaca 37 shotgun. They came in many flavors and different models. I believe at one point the Ithaca 37 had the longest production run for a pump-action shotgun in history, surpassing that of the Winchester Model 12.
This has probably now been surpassed by the Remington 870 and perhaps even some Mossberg models.

Oz82

Established Member
Dec 26, 2021
Blount County
I had the pleasure of using one of these a few years ago to kill a bunch of flying orange clay disks. The empties dropping out of the bottom was pretty cool. Getting doubles was easy with the slamfire feature. It was hard to give it back to the guy that was kind enough to lend it to me.

Since then I've only seen a few pre 1975 models out in the wild and they were either in horrible shape or priced way too high for me to justify the purchase against my other financial responsibilities, but I haven't stopped casually looking.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
My father was a deputy sheriff with a major department out West. They (and I believe their counterparts on the city’s PD within the county) were issued Ithaca 37s. He liked them a lot.

Old newspaper shot shown here. My father is the deputy in the center of the picture. His fellow deputy to the left has a 37 shouldered. They were dealing with a barricaded suspect at the time.

1686830944011.jpeg

GoneToAle

Established Member
May 12, 2023
PikeCounty
I loaned my 16 ga. to my son in law for a dove shoot. He did pretty well with it. He got some looks like ‘…what is that old thing?…’

Hunter10139

Established Member
May 9, 2022
Hazel Green
A family friend owns one in 16 gauge and he let me shoot it many times at clays growing up. I'm going to have to buy one someday.

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
I had 1 and sold it. The gun is so light in weight when I shot it the kick would beat me in the dirt. Glad you like yours.

Griz375

Established Member
Feb 15, 2021
W TN, 38105
I've had a few and liked them all. Circumstances made me part ways with them but a DeerSlayer or two and another Trap model would be welcome here.

Yes, if anyone finds themselves over-burdened w/ 37s so to speak, that's a direct hint. ;)

OldScool.22

Established Member
Jan 28, 2022
Mobile Alabama
Actually a John Browning design, First modernized And produced by Remington as the model 17. When Browning's patent expired Ithaca again modernize the design as the model 37.