Anyone Shoot Compete?

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Anyone here shoot and compete in any of the Alabama matches?

mike047

Established Member
Feb 11, 2017
Marion, Al
Not currently. When I shot benchrest [NBRSA], we shot matches in Fayette, always had a good time there. I don't know if their range is still in use. The southeast region NBRSA match schedule is very small compared to the late 80's when I shot.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I know Justin Pewter shoots some but Im not sure he does it on a competitive level.

Maybe we can schedule a shoot day at like Cahaba WMA range.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I've shot some IDPA and am slated to shoot an upcoming Single Stack Classic match in June - should be fun!

Bolts Rock

Established Member
Nov 21, 2020
Harvest
Never have. I have always wanted to do SASS western shooting competition but never lived close to anywhere with an active group.

North Alabama Regulators at Cavern Cove home of the Alabama State and Southeast Regional SASS championships. Website and FB page.

Old York Shootists in Blountsville. FB page.

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
Alabama precision doesn't seem to list any, so is there prize money for placing in local competitions or would i just be paying to shoot? Because I have places on private property where I can shoot for free.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Brock’s Gap Training Facility in Hoover, while a private range, typically allows non-members to shoot for a very low fee (at one time it was $10 to shoot in an IDPA match, for instance).

I understand they host some Steel Challenge events - I’m not sure if there is prize money up for grabs in a match like that.

I see that I mentioned in this thread back in 2017 about a Single Stack Championship (1911s only match). I’ve now shot in two of those at Brock’s Gap; it was a lot of fun. I don’t recall now how much the entry fee was, but it covered the match, a shirt, and a catered lunch. There were some significant prizes (i.e., guns) at those.

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
Brock’s Gap Training Facility in Hoover, while a private range, typically allows non-members to shoot for a very low fee (at one time it was $10 to shoot in an IDPA match, for instance).

I understand they host some Steel Challenge events - I’m not sure if there is prize money up for grabs in a match like that.

I see that I mentioned in this thread back in 2017 about a Single Stack Championship (1911s only match). I’ve now shot in two of those at Brock’s Gap; it was a lot of fun. I don’t recall now how much the entry fee was, but it covered the match, a shirt, and a catered lunch. There were some significant prizes (i.e., guns) at those.
Cool. I'll have to look into local stuff like that once things have calmed down and ammo is more expendable. I gotta get good before I go.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
@TreyT I hear ya.

Brock’s Gap once offered (and maybe they still do) “clinics” like “Intro to IDPA” and “Intro to 3-Gun” that I thought were great - a lot of fun and very helpful to someone considering participating in matches. I’ve not shot an IDPA match in so long I’d like to re-take an Intro course to that again ha-ha!

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Sheepdog Firarms host USPSA and IPDA each month as well as host a few classes on basic handguns and USCCA classes.

alexchamp29

Established Member
Feb 25, 2021
Opelika
East Alabama Gun Club is an awesome range that also host multiple competitions. It is $225 for an annual membership discounts for Mil/LEO

Bbentley40

Established Member
Sep 20, 2020
Huntsville
I mainly shoot Steel Challenge.. but I have shot USPSA in the past too. The Steel match at Cavern Cove each month is really good. Generally has competitors ranging from new up to a handful of GrandMaster shooters.

wav3rhythm

Established Member
Sep 10, 2021
Huntsville
I’m a Master in USPSA and shoot at a few different ranges around the state. I’ve competed in a few other sports in the past, but USPSA seems to be the best bang for the buck IMO.