AR-15 safety selector with oversized diameter shaft?

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
I'm looking for a replacement AR-15 safety selector that has an oversized diameter shaft. Not by much, maybe 1/64ths of an inch. Does such a thing exist?

I've done many searches with no hits so I'm guessing I'm out of luck here, but maybe my search words were insufficient, so I'm asking you guys.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
What is the exact problem?_ There may be another solution.

The left side hole is oblong.

I ran across possible solutions involving filling the hole and re-drilling or installing a sleeve, but I'll replace the lower before going these routes.

Ergo, last ditch attempt at the possibilty of finding a replacement where I'll only need to round out one hole and enlarge the other.

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
I'm bad about keeping a mess of old bolts, washers, pins, bushings around, then using a file and a drill (lathe), to make a fix. I don't know if it is the challenge, or cheapness, that keeps me doing that sort of thing.

sleepy4sureishere

Established Member
Nov 30, 2020
N. Alabama
I'm bad about keeping a mess of old bolts, washers, pins, bushings around, then using a file and a drill (lathe), to make a fix. I don't know if it is the challenge, or cheapness, that keeps me doing that sort of thing.
Hey Joel, You mean that you are "Good" about keeping an inventory of old Bolts etc...Been doing it most of all of my life as well. Prefer it that way...You know what you got when it's done right!
1. Identify 2. Improvise 3. Overcome!

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
I personally would fill the hole with JB weld and then re-drill the hole to the proper size

I meant to post a followup to my original question, and totally forgot about it.

Anyway, I ended up doing just that. I had read about that as a solution and at first thought it wouldn't be worth the trouble. Then I thought about how much the lower cost and changed my mind.

I ended up enlarging the hole and also drilling some smaller holes around the perimeter of the enlarged hole to provide more area for the epoxy to grip. After filling the area with epoxy, I re-drilled it with more care. It worked like a charm.

Thanks for the reply!