AR15 discussion

holographicgt

Established Member
Mar 7, 2023
Sylacauga
In a while I want to buy or build a tough, durable AR15 (223/556). What manufacturers do you suggest or parts, build kits, etc.? I'm wanting reliability and durability over all else. Weight doesn't matter.

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Randolph County
For the money, both Aero Precision and Ballistic Advantage (sister companies) offer great value, if building yourself, especially when you watch for their sale prices. You can buy cheaper, such as Palmetto State, which offers a decent product as well, but the Aero/BA products seem to be just a step above.

I would stay away from anything lower end, such as Bear Creek Arsenal (BCA), Davidson Defense, and Radical Firearms, just because of inconsistent quality. If buying and not building, Daniel Defense is one of my top choices, and Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT Defense) has a solid reputation for quality.

My favorite manufacturer of all was MegaArms, originally Mega Machine, with the best fit and finish of all products I ever bought. However, those original MegaArms products are hard to find. Zev bought the company and has started to reintroduce parts under the MegaArms/Zev branding but I am not convinced the same quality exists today, based on the purchase of a couple of the Zev stripped upper receivers.

Just my opinions, based on my build and buying (except LMT) experiences.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Can second Aero/PSA, so long as you go with PSA Premium. Both of my AR-15s are Aero lowers on PSA Premium uppers and my AR-10 is an Aero lower on a Ballistic Advantage upper. Haven't had any issues out of any of them and I'm very satisfied for the price.

holographicgt

Established Member
Mar 7, 2023
Sylacauga
Thanks for the advice. This is exactly what I was looking for. I've tried looking at different YouTube videos but you never know if those people are just trying to sell.

Bamarider

Established Member
Feb 1, 2016
Mountolive
In a while I want to buy or build a tough, durable AR15 (223/556). What manufacturers do you suggest or parts, build kits, etc.? I'm wanting reliability and durability over all else. Weight doesn't matter.
If you’re wanting a reliable AR spend the money and get a Daniel Defense,LWRC,BCM,Noveske,Radian. Don’t buy a cheap Aero they’re not just as good.

JT300

Smooth Brain in Alabama only local preferred
Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
if your looking to straight up buy BCM the way but they do have different levels of uppers but do have sales sometimes to come with bcg BCM is built with the intentions to rarely to be taken apart to customize kinda built to be a duty rifle out of the box if you wanna change rails have a good torch.
I've never had a problem with AERO/BA imo they are really good i've heard bad things about AERO bcgs but havent had problem with mine my BCM BCG i had to demagnetize but sometimes that just happens and straight up haven't had good luck with Daniel Defense.
not sure how people feel about SOLGW as i've only used the muzzle devices but i believe they use BA parts on some stuff and i hear good things about SOLGW.
not sure what length upper you're wanting but if i was just buying Id go with this upper
then a bcm lower or whatever you deem equivalent

I also like CMT they make some stuff for Geissele with slight variation mainly the true 13in MK14 rail Geissele used to make

Last edited:

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I feel so old haha - does anyone else remember when, not too terribly long ago, the advice for an AR-15 purchase was “A, B, C, or R:” Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, or Rock River?

The market has indeed continued to evolve (and, it sounds like, for the better), like most things do / have.

Good luck on the search!

Txbobcat

Established Member
Apr 17, 2023
Madison, AL
I bought a Radical Firearms rifle a year ago. After a couple thousand rounds, absolutely zero problems shooting factory .223 and 5.56 as well as many reloads. Depends on what you want to spend. My budget was under $1000. The list of Radical was $750 online and at LGS. I caught one on sale and used military discount.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I have a few AR brands in the stable, but once I built a few ARs from 100% Aero Precision parts and Ballistic Advantage barrels, I stuck with it. Mine are years old at this point, cannot even tell you how many thousands of rounds, never had a single issue with any of them (AR15 or AR10).

The weakest part of an AR under heavy firing is the gas tube. If you are worried about being reliable under heavy fire, buy a better gas tube

Then have a complete spare BCG ready to go (you can google individual parts n the bolt that are most likely to fail if you want to carry parts)

The Aero BCG is probably not as durable as the BCM, but its no slouch.

bhock

Established Member
Mar 26, 2023
Bremen
Adm, radian, lmt, knights, lwrc, pws, bcm, barrett, sig spear lt (not an ar15 but I like mine) just to name a few.
There are a lot of good options out there, just depends how much you wanna spend.

LoneStar

Established Member
Aug 3, 2023
Alabama
If you’re wanting a reliable AR spend the money and get a Daniel Defense,LWRC,BCM,Noveske,Radian. Don’t buy a cheap Aero they’re not just as good.
I’m far from an expert, but did a heck of a lot of research for many months before deciding whether to do an AR build or just buy a fully brand name AR as my first “black rifle.”

I think there is a lot to be said for building your own rifle, but if it’s your first AR and you plan to use it in any kind of personal defense role, then buying a high quality brand is the way to go - assuming you have the budget for that.

In the end I ordered a Daniel Defense and have no regrets in that regard. Yeah - the dang thing cost me an arm and a leg and my dog’s tail too, but what a sweet rifle. Like the man said: “Buy Once / Cry Once.” It was worth saving up for it.

LoneStar

Established Member
Aug 3, 2023
Alabama
I
Gotta go with BCM for the value and quality.
I like BCM a lot. Came very close to buying a RECCE16. In the end I went with a DD but may yet aquire a BCM at some point to play with at the range. I’ve never read anything negative about BCM that gave me any concern.

Knewcomb

Established Member
Nov 13, 2020
Meridianville
As others have mentioned, you can’t go wrong with BCM. As of late, I’ve just purchased different length uppers and slapped them my main lower for whatever I wanted to use that day.