Possible Fix for AR47 7.62x39 Feed Issues

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Wedowee
I just read on another forum where someone cut down the M4 feed ramps on an AR to improve the 7.62x39 feed and reliability on an AR47 (AR that fires AK food or 7.62x39). As an owner of numerous AR47 rifles and pistols, I offered my solution and then realized that I should post it here too. So here it is, just in case anyone here has similar issues when building a quality AR47, since the steel 7.62x39 round is relatively inexpensive when compared to other rounds.

I have numerous ARs chambered in 7.62x39, both pistols and rifles, and they all run flawlessly without any modifications to the feed ramps. Although I experienced similar failure to feed issues and could see scratches to both the bullet and casing in my early builds, I determined that it was the magazine feed exit point cut in the magazine that was inadequate. The same poor design was on all 7.62x39 mags I tested.

As many others have noted, a simple modification to the magazine is a typical fix. To date, I have "dremeled" over 40 mags, like the one below, and the issue, at least for me, has been resolved.

If you look closely at the top of the left "un-dremeled" mag in the picture below, you can see that the top "ready to feed" round is almost perfectly in line with the mag exit point (although my camera angle makes it look slightly above the metal), meaning that the bullet and steel casing have a very high probability of snagging the mag upon exit, thus leaving the scratch/gouge on the bullet and casing, also resulting in a potential mis-feed angle.

For the "dremeled" mag on the right, the "ready to feed" round is well above the mag exit point, thus allowing free exit with no restriction in feed. After trying many mag brands, the 28-round C-Products Defense is what I try to buy, as the 28-round fits better in most mag pouches (less of a curve in design) and is easy to Dremel to give me the same positive feed results.

C-Products_Defense_dremel.jpg

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Well, and I here I am reading (MIS-reading) the post title as “AK-47 Feeding Issues” and I’m thinking to myself “I’ve never seen an AK with feeding issues…” LOL - duh on me! :)

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Wedowee
Dumb question here. Are these AR15 magazines made for 7.62x39mm or standard .223/5.56 magazines? Thanks
Yes, only use 7.62x39 specific mags. C-Products Defense is the best I have used, even though I still Dremel them for better feed. The 28-round mags do not have as much of an "AK" curve, so they fit better in mag pouches compared to the 30-round versions.

BigWaveDave

Established Member
Oct 25, 2020
Calera, AL
Yes, only use 7.62x39 specific mags. C-Products Defense is the best I have used, even though I still Dremel them for better feed. The 28-round mags do not have as much of an "AK" curve, so they fit better in mag pouches compared to the 30-round versions.
I picked up a BCA 7.62x39 side charger 16” barreled upper and this advice got me to the right mags. No issues with feeding using the Cproducts mags. Thanks BB.