Basic Pistol and Rifle Training

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
I think I know how to shoot fairly well, but that's from a static stance and at short range. Long story short: I'm looking to get more formal training that's available to citizens hopefully near the Auburn or Montgomery, AL area. I guess even Birmingham would work. I saw Eagle Tactics does classes occasionally but they seemed more focused on law enforcement training. I'm hoping the crew here could offer up some other suggestions. Otherwise, I'm looking at heading up to Dahlonega, GA to take a classes at The Complete Combatant. I'd like to stay local though if that's a possibility.

jlw

Established Member
Mar 28, 2016
GA
I was in the FLETC Firearms Instructor with the Eagle Tactics guys. They seemed like good folks, but I have no knowledge of their coursework beyond what I see in the announcements.

I'm good friends with and have trained with Brian Hill numerous times (both of us as students in classes, me in his classes, and him in my classes). He does a really good job and has a nice facility. Plus, Dahlonega has plenty to offer outside of class.

I'd be willing to come to AL to teach if a range is available, and we can get 10 students.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
Xero,
It always seems hard to get average citizens to talk about training. I am not sure why. Anyways, I have trained with Ed Marshman in North Alabama. I am guessing that it is to far away. However, he made a good impression on me and I wanted to get his information to you.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
I was in the FLETC Firearms Instructor with the Eagle Tactics guys. They seemed like good folks, but I have no knowledge of their coursework beyond what I see in the announcements.

I'm good friends with and have trained with Brian Hill numerous times (both of us as students in classes, me in his classes, and him in my classes). He does a really good job and has a nice facility. Plus, Dahlonega has plenty to offer outside of class.

I'd be willing to come to AL to teach if a range is available, and we can get 10 students.
I'm a member of a gun range, but I don't really know how to get that ball rolling. That's kind of why I was looking for someone or somewhere local.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
Xero,
It always seems hard to get average citizens to talk about training. I am not sure why. Anyways, I have trained with Ed Marshman in North Alabama. I am guessing that it is to far away. However, he made a good impression on me and I wanted to get his information to you.

Because training isn't cool, it costs time and money and "I can already shoot so what do I need that for?" is commonly what I hear. The USPSA shooters seem to be the only group around here that do any type of formal training around here.

Thanks for the heads up, but if I'm gonna travel that far, I'll head to The Complete Combatant.

jlw

Established Member
Mar 28, 2016
GA
I checked the database of Rangemaster Certified Instructors, and the closest to you is a guy in Anniston. I don't know him.

I have heard good things about the folks at Lighthorse Tactical, but I have not trained with them.

Building a training culture can be challenging but isn't insurmountable. The biggest obstacle is overcoming the belief that gun owner equated to qualified gun user.

robertamcvay

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Athens
Additional training is always a good thing, unless it is bad ..training. The good trainers also have trainers. I try to go to as much training as I can from as many different trainers as I can. I feel there is always something I can learn and I like the different approaches that different trainers have. Don't settle for one training site and one trainer/set of trainers. Then, PRACTICE..

jlw

Established Member
Mar 28, 2016
GA
Some things to consider when selecting a trainer:

-If all they have is an NRA or USCCA certification with no other distinguishable background, are they going to have any true insight to offer, or are they just giving you a canned product that someone else created?

-Does SpecOps or SWAT translate to your world?

Here's a piece I wrote years ago that expands on more of the above.