Browning Hi-Power

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I'm just curious if anyone here likes the BHP?

I've owned a couple (a MkII and a Mk III) and had a little bit of a love-hate with them. The pistols fit my hand great, I shot them decently, and I'm a fan of single-action autos...but...all the magazines I could find had really sharp corners on the back edges of their baseplates. Not a big deal, really...until you carry spare mags and one corner digs into YOU and / or the outside corner tears into your covering garment.

For some reason, too, the BHP's slide felt too small to me. I can't explain this one; smaller is often better, but it's as if I couldn't obtain a good grasp at the rear of the slide when chambering a round.

My BHPs also still had the magazine safety disconnect installed (think I'm using the nomenclature correctly there). This is a standard feature of the Hi-Power that is often disabled by users to obtain a better trigger pull.

Since my most recent BHP experience (I don't own one now), I've found some possible solutions to what ailed me. An outfit called Privateer Leather makes, among other things, mag pouches with a built-in liner or protector to keep the mag corner from zapping the wearer. Also, there was a company making a much-improved, softer-edged magazine base pad for the BHP...I'm not sure if they're still around, but I'd do some research if I ever decided to try one of these pistols again.

And, of course, there's always the option of a mag pouch with covering flaps / snaps. This wouldn't seem conducive to concealed-carry, though.

Despite the flaws I see in the gun (whether real, perceived, or just my own personal hang-ups), I remain a fan. I've considered adding a new Mk III back to the lineup. We shall see.

You don't find too many BHPs "on the line," it seems. Once I saw a guy shooting a beautiful two-toned model, Browning's "Practical Model," I believe it's called, at an IDPA match. I was impressed and complimented the shooter on his weapon choice.

On a related note - does anyone watch NBC's "The Blacklist?" Main character Raymond "Red" Reddington, played to a "T" by James Spader, has for the last season or two been packing a Hi-Power. This would seem a classy and appropriate choice for a well-connected, globe-trotting bad-guy-doing-good like Red. And, he carries it cocked-and-locked, just like it oughtta be!

Kudos to somebody on the show's production staff for arming Red this way. In an earlier episode, they had him strip and reassemble a 1911 in a scene, and it was done by-the-book perfectly!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Beautiful BHP. Who made your Surefire holder?

Thank you, and that holder is from Comp-Tac. Made for the sadly now-out-of-print Surefire G2. It'll still kinda fit the newer-generation Surefires but I've reallllly gotta crank down the tension screws. I'd order a new Comp-Tac holder but have largely switched to different pouch (a combo light / mag pouch from Mitch Rosen).

slpeod

Established Member
Feb 1, 2016
North AL
That's a nice looking Browning. I've been thinking about picking one up or either a CZ shadow for a while now. I'm still up in the air on it and have way to many other gun irons in the fire right now and not enough $$$$ to make them all happen.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Thank you and I know what you mean!

The grips on that one (and on the Mk III I owned) are Hogue G10s - I really liked the look and texture of those. If I go the BHP route again, I'll get another set of those grips.

There's an outfit called Privateer Leather making some really nice BHP gunleather that I'd check into, also.

JTD

Established Member
Mar 19, 2016
Gadsden
That's a nice looking Browning. I've been thinking about picking one up or either a CZ shadow for a while now. I'm still up in the air on it and have way to many other gun irons in the fire right now and not enough $$$$ to make them all happen.
Have CZ sp01 Shadow from custom shop. Super awesome pistol in all facets. Smooth as silk and very accurate. Easy to look at. Would highly recommend. (Had about 3 yrs and put lots of rounds down range)

slpeod

Established Member
Feb 1, 2016
North AL
The Shadow from the custom store is on my list. I've heard nothing but good things about them. Haven't shot a CZ custom gun before but I have high hopes to have one by the end of this year.