Bullet velocity and temporary wound cavity

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
So in some of my previous research I found that supposedly a temporary wound cavity only causes significant damage at a certain velocity. I found claims that the velocity needs to be 2000fps or higher and claims that the velocity needs to be 2500fps or higher. Does anyone have good info on this? I'd like to know which of these numbers, if either, is correct. Any input is welcome but If you could share links to actual studies, that would be awesome.

Edit: I posted this in the long gun section because these velocities concern rifles almost exclusively. I hope that's alright.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Are you looking for penetration or self defense?
This is what turned up in a quick google search : https://www.gunnuts.net/2014/10/13/the-myth-of-the-temporary-wound-cavity/

but even at 1200fps its going to penetrate and cause a wound, in self defense I think multi-shots and shit placement is more important then how deep the wound is going to be.

In penetration standpoint for wound cavity if you are hitting in the chest the round is going to loose a lot when it hits bone and possible go other places which is why a fragmented round is liked over full metal jacket. I know a fmj will go through quite a bit before it stops. A defensive round will also go through a bit but tends to break up in some cases.
Here is a good read also: http://www.brassfetcher.com/FBI Ammunition Protocol/FBI Ammunition Protocol.html

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
The first link is one of the places I got the numbers. I cant remember where I got the higher figure. I'm wondering because the effect of the temporary cavity is important when comparing calibers and selecting barrel lengths and loads. For instance, if the higher number is correct, all but the fastest 300 aac is just basically a small caliber pistol round when it comes to the actual wound.

Last edited:

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
Are you looking for penetration or self defense?
To answer your question, im trying to determine the amount of damage a particular bullet is likely to cause. Knowing if the temporary cavity or only the permanent cavity represents actual damage is vital.

Also, brassfetcher is an amazing resource for ballistics info. You cant do much research on terminal ballistic without running across brassfetcher.

Last edited: