Alabama Gun Forum is a free, privatly owned and supported community of gun owners. We are free to join and free to use the marketplace. We are always working to improve the community. Please be aware of all forum rules and all gun regulations related to selling and buying firearms. Alabama Gun Forum is not responsible for trasnactions on this forum.
Agreed 10000000% buying and selling a house, especially with wife/kids/dog all living in it while trying to sell is a stressful mess
I got somewhat lucky when I sold my last house, I had a neighbor that was renting and really wanted to move into the neighborhood permanently. We worked out a deal without realtors, used a decent local settlement attorney, and all went well. She was able to rent month to month after her 1 year rental was up, so that made my move out easy, she just rented for one extra month while I closed on the house I am in now
I know my next move probably won't go anywhere near that smooth and easy
Moving all your stuff into storage and renting an apartment doesn't sound like a temp option either if you need more space
The easier but more expensive option is to plan to carry two houses for 90-120 days...
At least this is what I am shooting for when I move again in about 2 years.
Make sure you hire a great home inspector for the new house.
My home inspector missed a failing roof on the main house (needed the complete roof replaced), a leaky roof on the sun room, a failed gas water heater, a failed irrigation system (dumped 80,000 gallons of water into the yard before I noticed) and some other smaller things. Needless to say my first 6 months in the new house was way more expensive than I had ever imagined it would be I am over all those hurdles now (been in this house 2 years) and have been working more on improvements and less of repairs
Well after a nightmare of stuff we are I think finally on the way to closing in a month.
1st contract we had for 45 days ended up 4 days before closing cancelled because financing.
2nd contract pulled after inspection because we said no to some fixes they wanted done.
3rd contract I think will stick I hope.
We also have a contract on a house for the last 2 months waiting on ours to sell which I know has been hell for the seller. We found a house that’s perfect for us and was on our target area but not the new build we were looking at.
And of course when the shit hits the fan my timing chain on my truck broke so now I need a new engine on top of selling and buying a house.
Then you will have the joy that is known as moving
My life works a lot like that as well, you are not alone. It always seems as soon as I commit funds to something voluntarily, boom, something else comes along unexpectedly that costs $$$$ at the worst time.
Hopefully you had a good home inspector look at the house you are buying. In my experience having used a good home inspector once and a bad home inspector once (only bought two houses) that it makes all the difference in the world.
The good inspector handed me a list of roughly 30 items, I had the seller fix the top 3 or so that were the concerning items (like one was a gas leak at the furnace). In the next 10 years I lived in that house ONE thing that wasn't on the original inspectors list broke, that was it. Otherwise the list was dead accurate, and the one thing was a minor electrical problem that cost me $100
The house with the bad home inspector literally cost me $20,000 in year one, not fun, and I will make sure I research my home inspectors far more before using, but I guess that is what happens when you move 1000 miles. You don't know what you don't know in a new area.
Ya I feel like we got a good inspection, he was there for 3-4 hours and I came and he walked me thru some things he found. Nothing major was discovered.
I purchased a warranty with my truck but it was 2 year 24,000 miles and I have almost 25-26k miles but I’m trying to work with the dealer to see if they will help if not then I’ll have to find another way to pay for an engine, which might not be until the close of the house with is way way to long to be with 1 car.
Turn of events, the buyers of my house want to close this Friday which caught us by surprise. Since we would have had a 4 day notice. We are still trying to work out details because they I guess knew longer and someone didn’t relay the information but they are already taking off work and have rented a truck.... this is better then any mtv show.