Buying and selling a house

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Buying and selling a house is stressful.

I have to put my house on the market, and find a bigger one to buy with in a budget. And hopefully not be homeless in that time.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Agreed 10000000% buying and selling a house, especially with wife/kids/dog all living in it while trying to sell is a stressful mess

I got somewhat lucky when I sold my last house, I had a neighbor that was renting and really wanted to move into the neighborhood permanently. We worked out a deal without realtors, used a decent local settlement attorney, and all went well. She was able to rent month to month after her 1 year rental was up, so that made my move out easy, she just rented for one extra month while I closed on the house I am in now :)

I know my next move probably won't go anywhere near that smooth and easy

Moving all your stuff into storage and renting an apartment doesn't sound like a temp option either if you need more space :(

The easier but more expensive option is to plan to carry two houses for 90-120 days...
At least this is what I am shooting for when I move again in about 2 years.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I’m not shooting for that I’m hoping some stuff goes smooth like your first move. I am waiting to find out the pre approval and then I will list this house.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Make sure you hire a great home inspector for the new house.

My home inspector missed a failing roof on the main house (needed the complete roof replaced), a leaky roof on the sun room, a failed gas water heater, a failed irrigation system (dumped 80,000 gallons of water into the yard before I noticed) and some other smaller things. Needless to say my first 6 months in the new house was way more expensive than I had ever imagined it would be :( I am over all those hurdles now (been in this house 2 years) and have been working more on improvements and less of repairs ;)

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
The new house is a brand new build with a warranty. I doubt I’ll pay for an inspection. But we will see when we get that far.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Well after a nightmare of stuff we are I think finally on the way to closing in a month.

1st contract we had for 45 days ended up 4 days before closing cancelled because financing.
2nd contract pulled after inspection because we said no to some fixes they wanted done.
3rd contract I think will stick I hope.

We also have a contract on a house for the last 2 months waiting on ours to sell which I know has been hell for the seller. We found a house that’s perfect for us and was on our target area but not the new build we were looking at.

And of course when the shit hits the fan my timing chain on my truck broke so now I need a new engine on top of selling and buying a house.

Great times.....

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Good luck on lucky #3

Then you will have the joy that is known as moving :D

My life works a lot like that as well, you are not alone. It always seems as soon as I commit funds to something voluntarily, boom, something else comes along unexpectedly that costs $$$$ at the worst time.

Hopefully you had a good home inspector look at the house you are buying. In my experience having used a good home inspector once and a bad home inspector once (only bought two houses) that it makes all the difference in the world.

The good inspector handed me a list of roughly 30 items, I had the seller fix the top 3 or so that were the concerning items (like one was a gas leak at the furnace). In the next 10 years I lived in that house ONE thing that wasn't on the original inspectors list broke, that was it. Otherwise the list was dead accurate, and the one thing was a minor electrical problem that cost me $100

The house with the bad home inspector literally cost me $20,000 in year one, not fun, and I will make sure I research my home inspectors far more before using, but I guess that is what happens when you move 1000 miles. You don't know what you don't know in a new area.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Ya I feel like we got a good inspection, he was there for 3-4 hours and I came and he walked me thru some things he found. Nothing major was discovered.

I purchased a warranty with my truck but it was 2 year 24,000 miles and I have almost 25-26k miles but I’m trying to work with the dealer to see if they will help if not then I’ll have to find another way to pay for an engine, which might not be until the close of the house with is way way to long to be with 1 car.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Turn of events, the buyers of my house want to close this Friday which caught us by surprise. Since we would have had a 4 day notice. We are still trying to work out details because they I guess knew longer and someone didn’t relay the information but they are already taking off work and have rented a truck.... this is better then any mtv show.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Tator Man is right on

I know I am moving in about 2 years, dreading the though of trying to sell the house I am in now. I know I need to make some improvements before I do.

I hope my next house is my forever house or at least a 10-15 year period, then move to my forever house and be done.

Hope it all works out for you.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
After I move this time it will be a long time before I ever, ever think about this process unless I’m buying with cash.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
We have finally moved in and setting the house us, no internet yet which is why I am very very slow about this place. After I get everything settled Ill be back and bigger. Also got my truck fixed it was just at 1900 bucks.