Carry rounds?

kmann

Established Member
Feb 6, 2022
Gardendale
Ultimately it isn’t super important: all pistol rounds suck. It’s just a matter of finding rounds that suck the least. For .38 I like Corbon, for .380 and below I like heavy-for-caliber FMJ, and for 9mm i like 124+p HST or Gold Dot

lowsky

Established Member
Apr 20, 2022
Tuscaloosa, AL
What does everyone use for their EDC rounds? I’ve often been advised to use whatever local LEOs use to avoid legal trouble, but was never sure if those were just urban legends.
I keep my Glock loaded with libery civil defense 9mm for at my place, primarily because I'm concerned about overpenetration possibly killing my neighbors should I miss. I use Hornady CD if I'm out and about.

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
I keep my Glock loaded with libery civil defense 9mm for at my place, primarily because I'm concerned about overpenetration possibly killing my neighbors should I miss. I use Hornady CD if I'm out and about.
I second the Liberty Defense. If you carry a lightweight pocket gun and wanna reduce the recoil, the LIberty is the way to go. That crap HITS HARD. Some guys get all bent outta shape that 'it don't penetrate deep enough". Well, after watching the videos of what it does in test media, I don't think it would have to.

lowsky

Established Member
Apr 20, 2022
Tuscaloosa, AL
I second the Liberty Defense. If you carry a lightweight pocket gun and wanna reduce the recoil, the LIberty is the way to go. That crap HITS HARD. Some guys get all bent outta shape that 'it don't penetrate deep enough". Well, after watching the videos of what it does in test media, I don't think it would have to.
Agreed. While I usually carry with my Hornady, I think Liberty would be fine in a carry gun. Some of the more potent hollow points I've tried get pretty snappy, whereas the liberty is very flat. No issues with follow-up shots.

aftac19

Established Member
Sep 23, 2022
Huntsville
9mm, 147 grain Federal HST, 147 golden saber, 147 federal 9ms 147 grain (used overseas), 124 grain Hornady Tap or 9mm pble 115 grain +p+

40sw, 165 grain HST, 180 Winchester Rangers, 165 grain Federal EFMJ.

45acp, 230 grain Federal HST, 185 grain Remmington Golden Saber. Had a 1911 in the past it was the only Hollowpoint it would feed properly.

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
Also, the Hornady Lite 100 Grain 9mm is good in a super compact pistol. It is speedy and penetrates deep and expands well in gel test. Lower recoil for sure. May stovepipe if limp wristed though like it did with my daughters. It shot fine with me.