Carry rounds?

The 10th Man

Established Member
Aug 13, 2021
Huntsville
What does everyone use for their EDC rounds? I’ve often been advised to use whatever local LEOs use to avoid legal trouble, but was never sure if those were just urban legends.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
For a .45 ACP 1911, I’m carrying either 230-grain or, in some cases, 200-grain JHPs. I’m not set on any one manufacturer, as JHP availability has been a mixed-bag.

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Wedowee
I rotate carry weapons from a P229C in 9mm and a second P229C in 357 Sig. In 9mm, I like the Hornady Critical Defense 147 grain JHP. In the 357 Sig, I still prefer the Hornady, but use the Critical Duty 135 grain with the FlexLock bullet. Both have become harder to find and prices are through the roof. Glad I have a few hundred rounds of each stashed away.

Mugi-wara

Established Member
Jan 3, 2022
NW Bama
What does everyone use for their EDC rounds? I’ve often been advised to use whatever local LEOs use to avoid legal trouble, but was never sure if those were just urban legends.

There are several good HP choices on the market today. I know prices are goofy, but try a couple of known brands and if they shoot accurately, run 'em.

Hornady, Speer, Federal, Winchester... they all make good ones (this list is not all encompassing, just naming some brands I have used with good results).

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
I carry Federal HST's, same as the FBI and most LEO agency's.
I do this incase there's an unfortunate event I need to use my firearm in self defense the the protector wants to question me on my choice of ammo.
I will just say the FBI has competed extensive research in which ammo they use in self defense and they chose Federal HST due to it's consistent, repeatability of expansion and proper penatration. This is also why most LEO agencies in the country use the same ammo.
It'll be hard for a prosecutor to argue against that, but that's just my 2 cents, not advice. ;)

dal205

Established Member
Jun 7, 2020
Huntsville
I carry Remington Golden Saber +P because of their consistency and expansion. But, it's getting time to refresh my carry rounds and I don't know what I'll be able to find.

Here's a good resource for round comparisons.

Oz82

Established Member
Dec 26, 2021
Blount County
I have heard the adage about using what the local LEO uses in case you have to explain your choice to the prosecutor, but the flip side of this is the prosecutor who uses that choice and rationalization to portray you as a wannabe cop/vigilante.

Basically, if a prosecutor wants to paint you into a corner and make you look bad, they will. They're paid to shade things so they can put people in prison.

Therefore, in my opinion, I will use whatever is testing best with sources that I trust and that I have personally verified that it cycles flawlessly in my carry weapon. If the worst happens and I am forced to use it, I will let my lawyer tell the prosecutor whatever he wants to know and keep my own mouth shut tight.

Of course, this doesn't cover the stupid stuff like "zombie blaster 3000" or other loads like that. There's no reason to have novelty rounds in a carry weapon.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
My 45 ACP round is a 230gr Federal HST. In 9mm I handload 124gr Gold Dots.

I've heard a lawyer opine, I believe on the USCCA YouTube channel, that hand loaded ammunition presents a problem when there's a question about the circumstances of the shoot or whether the use of deadly force was justified. Factory ammunition provides police investigators the ability to recreate the circumstances of the shoot with ammunition that's uniform and predictable in powder, projectile, published ballistics, etc... For instance, I say that the perp was right on top of me as I discharged my weapon, but the powder residue or lack thereof suggests something different. Hand-rolled ammo might give a prosecutor a way to argue that my story can't be verified because of the inconsistencies/non-repeatablity of my cartridges.

Sorry, I know that I'm missing a key point of his argument. It's been a few months but perhaps I can find and post the link.

Last edited:

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
Colt 1911 - Win 185gr Silver Tip or Rem 185gr GS
.38 Spl or .357 Mag - Rem 125gr Golden Saber
9mm - Fed 124gr Hydra Shok
.380 ACP - Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX