Carrying out of state

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
Has anyone here gotten checked carrying outside the state where you had to show your permit ? I'm headed to Ohio next week. I checked and they reciprocate with Alabama.

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
I'll be driving. Bur you missed the point in the thread. Have you had your CCW checked when out of state.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I have not, I was going to suggest making sure each state you are passing through was also rec. of Alabama. I have went to Florida and Georgia with my ccw but was never pulled over.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
You also might want to check for any firearms law differences between Alabama and Ohio. I don't know about Ohio for sure, but an example would be that in Tennessee and Louisiana CCW permits aren't considered valid in bars whereas Alabama has no such restriction.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
No problem man, that's a big issue that often gets overlooked when people talk about carrying out of state

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
Yes, I have.
FL CWL, was at a "public gathering" in GA. FL and GA have reciprocity, however the rules differ from state to state on what and where its legal to carry.
I won't go in to details on the silliness of what the definition of "public gathering" is and the absurdity thereof... but yes, it would appear I was "printing" and got checked. Luckily the LEO was a friend of the family and I was allowed to leave the gathering.
It is, as previously stated, wise to read up on the laws where you will be travelling - including places you just plan to drive through.
As it turns out I might have carried in a few places that are quite legal in FL that aren't in surrounding states - reciprocity or not...
Signs are another thing. In some states shop owners posting signs stating "no weapons/no guns allowed" have ZERO legal grounds if you have a license, in other states they hold legal weight.
Also be aware that some states have "odd" rules about how it is legal to transport a firearm regardless of what license or permit you possess.

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
I will be going to Cincinati and then on to Cleveland. I'll be staying in a hotel and keeping my pistol out of sight. I just refuse to travel the interstates without protection. If my life is in danger well so be it.

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
I will be going to Cincinati and then on to Cleveland. I'll be staying in a hotel and keeping my pistol out of sight. I just refuse to travel the interstates without protection. If my life is in danger well so be it.
The "mistake by the lake" :)
You planning to go the R&R Hall of Fame while you are there?

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
Unfortunately I will not. I wanted to but didn't have the time. My wife and I go to several major league ballparks every year. So, we started out in Cincinnati Reds stadium then on to the Cleveland Indians stadium . On the way back we stopped at Louisville Bat factory. Had a great time no problems with anyone. I just got home about 1.5 hours ago. ( late Sunday after noon )

Blackwarriorjammin

Established Member
Jun 14, 2021
Tuscaloosa
I carry everywhere i go under LEOSA so I'm not usually worried about being checked even though i do have a pjstol permit also. Im always mindful though that my wife keeps up with her permit.

When I'm out of state i try to be extra discrete with my method of carry. Just dont want to even fool with other LEOs. A few years back went on a school trip via chartered bus. We went to a venu with a metal detector. A Sgt with the local PD was nearby. Showed him my ID apologized for even having to come up to him and was bypassed. The other parents kept wondering what i did for a living, i never said. My wife rolled her eyes at me. I hated the attention but didnt plan on sitting on the bus with the driver in the dead of winter.