Concealed Carry in Alabama

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I renew every year but longer is available, I pay 15 a year and takes about 15 mins but now I can do it online and don’t have to go to the sheriffs office.

Jimmy Thomason

Established Member
Jan 30, 2016
In Blount County, we pay $20 per year and up to 5 years at a time. Applications must be made online. You are notified by e-mail when (and if) your permit is ready. It must be picked up in person at the Sheriff's Office so they can take your picture and apply it to the permit. I don't know if any changes have been made because of the Covid scare.

EdC

Established Member
Sep 7, 2020
Talladega
I pay for 5 years at a time, might as well go ahead and plan on making it to the next renewal!

ernestdefoe

Established Member
Jan 31, 2016
Just putting this out there for vets and current military if you take a copy of your DD214 for vets and military ID for current military personnel you can get your permit for free. They used to do it for 5 years but apparently that changed in January to only one year at a time. The catch is for vets you can’t have received a dishonorable discharge to take advantage of the free permit. Just got mine Friday and it says Military on the bottom right hand side of it.

Joe Friday

Established Member
Jan 30, 2016
Just putting this out there for vets and current military if you take a copy of your DD214 for vets and military ID for current military personnel you can get your permit for free. They used to do it for 5 years but apparently that changed in January to only one year at a time. The catch is for vets you can’t have received a dishonorable discharge to take advantage of the free permit. Just got mine Friday and it says Military on the bottom right hand side of it.

Hmmmm... I wonder if that's only in your county or if it's statewide? Guess I need to check, but I still have a couple of years on my current permit...

Jimmy Thomason

Established Member
Jan 30, 2016
Hmmmm... I wonder if that's only in your county or if it's statewide? Guess I need to check, but I still have a couple of years on my current permit...
I just check with the Blount County Sheriff's Office and 1,2,3,4 and 5 year permits are still available.

Joe Friday

Established Member
Jan 30, 2016
Cherokee issues for up to 5 years as well, but I was wondering about them honoring the military service... I will definitely check on it!...

ernestdefoe

Established Member
Jan 31, 2016
I just check with the Blount County Sheriff's Office and 1,2,3,4 and 5 year permits are still available.
It was a Alabama House Bill that was passed that gives no fee gun permits to veterans and current military. They used to issue it for 5 years for no fee but what I was told by the sheriff himself in Winston County it changed in January to 1 year but as far as I know it’s free every year. Would make more sense to do it for 5 but I’m guessing they changed that so it wouldn’t be such a hit to the sheriff departments. I’m not sure though I was just told they only do the no fee permits for one year and that may only be Winston County. You’ll just have to check with your local department to see how long they’ll do one for at the no fee but you should be able to get the no fee one regardless as long as you take the above mentioned items as that is a state house bill that was passed and signed into effect.