Concealed carry permit= no background check

Joshua80

Established Member
Jun 25, 2020
Jasper
I know for a few years I was able to use my concealed carry permit when purchasing a firearm and they would make me fill out a 4473 but they didn’t have to call it in and do the background check.
I bought a gun recently from Larry’s in Madison and the guy there said they aren’t supposed to do that anymore.
He said that some sheriff offices didn’t even do a background check before issuing the permits.
Does anyone know if the law on this has changed again, or is this just coming from one gun shop?

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
I got my letter from the ATF that the law changed - letter was dated July 22, 2019. The information you were given is correct. If I can find the letter I received from the atf, I will post it here. I really enjoyed not calling in the background checks, but good things come to an end sometimes.

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
I hope this link works - it shows the letter from the ATF regarding your question:

I'm working on a link that works...

Last edited:

Joshua80

Established Member
Jun 25, 2020
Jasper
Oh wow. Yes the link works, thank you. Yeah it was definitely easier before. I assumed when I was 21 and I applied for that concealed carry permit that they were reviewing everything in my past. Like a full detailed background check. That’s hard for me to imagine.

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
I feel certain some departments were doing fine, but some were probably just going through the motions. One gun store in Mobile told me that they never stopped calling in, and many folks with CCW permits were still getting denied. It was nice not calling in, but there is no telling how many folks became unqualified after receiving a permit - and permits can be a 5 year thing.

US1 Guns

Established Member
Oct 3, 2019
Scottsboro,Al.
I know for a few years I was able to use my concealed carry permit when purchasing a firearm and they would make me fill out a 4473 but they didn’t have to call it in and do the background check.
I bought a gun recently from Larry’s in Madison and the guy there said they aren’t supposed to do that anymore.
He said that some sheriff offices didn’t even do a background check before issuing the permits.
Does anyone know if the law on this has changed again, or is this just coming from one gun shop?
Have to do a background check but no 3 day wait.Also the Alabama Sheriffs issue CWP by checking you through the FBI NICS and if you fail for a bad check in 1995 they usually give you the permit anyway.The catch 22 is the FBI will decline that person for a firearm purchase.
Thats why Alabama is no longer exempt for FBI NICS because they issue permits to felons.

US1 Guns

Established Member
Oct 3, 2019
Scottsboro,Al.
I feel certain some departments were doing fine, but some were probably just going through the motions. One gun store in Mobile told me that they never stopped calling in, and many folks with CCW permits were still getting denied. It was nice not calling in, but there is no telling how many folks became unqualified after receiving a permit - and permits can be a 5 year thing.
If they have a felony for say a $10 bad check 20 years ago the sheriff can give a permit.BUT the FBI NICS system picks it up and declines the sale.The issue is Alabama having what is normally a misdemeaner a felony in BAMA.

US1 Guns

Established Member
Oct 3, 2019
Scottsboro,Al.
Oh wow. Yes the link works, thank you. Yeah it was definitely easier before. I assumed when I was 21 and I applied for that concealed carry permit that they were reviewing everything in my past. Like a full detailed background check. That’s hard for me to imagine.
Sheriffs did a good job.Read my relies below.I`m a FFL with a store in Scottsboro.

US1 Guns

Established Member
Oct 3, 2019
Scottsboro,Al.
Well, read the letter from the ATF sent to Alabama FFL holders (myself included), and some sheriffs must not have done such a good job.
I got the same letter and have a store so maybe I have more interaction with ATF...Read the post.According to ATF the reason was as stated that Alabama sheriffs gave permits to people convicted of minor issues like a bad check 25 years ago which is a felony in Alabama but not in most states.Thats from the mouth of local ATF agents

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
From the actual ATF letter:

"In addition, ATF has determined that some Alabama counties have not been requiring non-U.S. citizen CCP permit applicants to submit the information necessary to run the IAQ, specifically, the place/country of birth and an alien registration or admission number. Because county sheriffs have issued CCP permits s without completing a full NICS check, firearms have been transferred to felons and other prohibited individuals in violation of federal law, thereby creating a substantial public safety concern. For this reason, the standards set forth in the Brady law require us to find that Alabama’s CCP permits no longer qualify as a NICS check alternative."