Does any manufacturer make a revolver in a caliber between .22 LR and .38 Special?

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
The caliber that comes to my mind in this category is .32 S&W. Any manufacturer still making them?

I've seen revolvers that shoot rimless cartridges, but the ones that I've seen shoot cartridges more powerful than what I'm looking for, which is something with less recoil than a .38 Special. Anyone aware of anything being made that will shoot .25 acp or .32 acp?

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
The caliber that comes to my mind in this category is .32 S&W. Any manufacturer still making them?

I've seen revolvers that shoot rimless cartridges, but the ones that I've seen shoot cartridges more powerful than what I'm looking for, which is something with less recoil than a .38 Special. Anyone aware of anything being made that will shoot .25 acp or .32 acp?
Taurus makes a .380 revolver. .380 cartridge isn't a smaller diameter than a .38 but is much shorter.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
I would take a 22 mag Airlite Revolver over a 32acp.

I hadn't thought of .22 Mag. Can you tell me what your reasoning is?

I'm trying to come up with something with recoil a relative can handle (.38 Special is too much). Originally, .32 acp came to mind because she can can handle the recoil of a .32 semi-auto.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
Have you seen the Ruger revolvers chambered in .327 Federal Magnum? It's a magnum cartridge but has a good offering of low recoil loads.
I saw those, but when I looked at the .327 cartridge it seemed to me it would probably be too hot for my needs.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
When I looked at the S&W website following AlabamaLarry's reply, it lists .22 WMR and .22 Magnum as separate calibers.

What's up with that? I thought they were the same?

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
Does it have to be a revolver? Felt recoil in a revolver is probably going to be a little rougher than in a simi auto.
In this case, yes. The person it is for has problems racking the slide on a semi-auto.

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
In this case, yes. The person it is for has problems racking the slide on a semi-auto.
In that case, I'd probably go with something smaller. Definitely wouldn't buy the 380 without knowing it was going to work. Maybe you could have them try a 9mm auto and if that is mild enough go with the 380

bronicabill

Established Member
May 26, 2019
Madison, AL
Have you seen the Ruger revolvers chambered in .327 Federal Magnum? It's a magnum cartridge but has a good offering of low recoil loads.
This is what I was going to suggest. I had a Ruger .327 Federal Magnum revolver for a while and loved the cartridge, especially since it could shoot 4 different .32 cal loadings, one being the .32S&W. The only reason I sold it was due to the shape of the grip; it just didn't fit my hand well in real-life live-fire, so I couldn't hit worth a crap with it! Someday I may get a GP100 in that loading if I can afford it by then...

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
In that case, I'd probably go with something smaller. Definitely wouldn't buy the 380 without knowing it was going to work. Maybe you could have them try a 9mm auto and if that is mild enough go with the 380
Good idea.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
This is what I was going to suggest. I had a Ruger .327 Federal Magnum revolver for a while and loved the cartridge, especially since it could shoot 4 different .32 cal loadings, one being the .32S&W. The only reason I sold it was due to the shape of the grip; it just didn't fit my hand well in real-life live-fire, so I couldn't hit worth a crap with it! Someday I may get a GP100 in that loading if I can afford it by then...

Now you have my attention.

When I looked at the Ruger website, the spec sheet didn't mention it would accept the other .32 cartridges and I stopped there. After reading your reply I looked up the user manual and sure enough it says it "will also chamber the 32 H&R, 32 S&W and the 32 S&W Long cartridge. The use of other than 327 Federal Magnum cartridges, may, in some loadings, result in unsatisfactory accuracy."

Any input on what "may, in some loadings, result in unsatisfactory accuracy." is referring to?

Eaglekeeper

Established Member
Dec 13, 2020
Scottsboro
I'll jump in here and try to help, if that's alright.

The cylinder will have a 'forcing cone' which tapers from the case diameter down closer to the barrel diameter. It's located optimally for the longest cartridge, in this case .327 Fed. The shorter the cartridge fired in that cylinder, the farther the bullet has to 'jump' to reach the forcing cone, which can allow the bullet to skew a little bit and deform, affecting accuracy. I have to say, we are really talking 'fine accuracy' not 'combat accuracy', so if it is not something I would worry about if you are shooting at, say, 25 yards max.

I would add, too that some of the .32 caliber cartridges CAN be hard to find at times, since they are not mainstream any longer, and seem to be more expensive when they are available. If you're a reloader, it's not a problem.

.22 Mag is a great option, as it is much more readily available, but is not quite as good a defensive cartridge as .380 or 9mm, if that's a consideration. I know that there are a number of revolvers that shoot 9mm from moon clips.

I'll also mention the S&W EZ series semi-autos, which have a grip safety that also reduces the force required to rack the slide substantially. These are available in .380 and 9mm, that I know of.

Hope all that helps.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
I'll jump in here and try to help, if that's alright.

The cylinder will have a 'forcing cone' which tapers from the case diameter down closer to the barrel diameter. It's located optimally for the longest cartridge, in this case .327 Fed. The shorter the cartridge fired in that cylinder, the farther the bullet has to 'jump' to reach the forcing cone, which can allow the bullet to skew a little bit and deform, affecting accuracy. I have to say, we are really talking 'fine accuracy' not 'combat accuracy', so if it is not something I would worry about if you are shooting at, say, 25 yards max.

I would add, too that some of the .32 caliber cartridges CAN be hard to find at times, since they are not mainstream any longer, and seem to be more expensive when they are available. If you're a reloader, it's not a problem.

.22 Mag is a great option, as it is much more readily available, but is not quite as good a defensive cartridge as .380 or 9mm, if that's a consideration. I know that there are a number of revolvers that shoot 9mm from moon clips.

I'll also mention the S&W EZ series semi-autos, which have a grip safety that also reduces the force required to rack the slide substantially. These are available in .380 and 9mm, that I know of.

Hope all that helps.

Great info, thanks.

I knew about the jump and forcing cone concepts but figured if the cylinder alignment was good I could probably get by with the accuracy issues.

I looked into the availability of ammo, but with the current situation, scarcity and price as a metric is practically meaningless so I didn't know what to think.

I will definitely check into the S&W EZ.

AlabamaLarry

Established Member
Jan 7, 2021
S. Huntsville, AL
I hadn't thought of .22 Mag. Can you tell me what your reasoning is?

I'm trying to come up with something with recoil a relative can handle (.38 Special is too much). Originally, .32 acp came to mind because she can can handle the recoil of a .32 semi-auto.
I bought my wife a S&W Airlite 351PD 22mag. Shoots fantastic, is very light weight, the grip feels great even in my hand and holds 7nds.

There are other Airweight/lite revolvers that cost less than the S&W. Ruger and Taurus have some.

She has other calibers .380, 9mm but prefers to carry this in her purse. Recoil is low and the 22mag makes a hell of bang for sound effects
They are making more self defense 22 mag ammo such as Hornady.

Now for me I believe you will get better penetration out of a 22mag than a .32acp. For self defense I want something that can penetrate numerous layers of clothing and still have deep enough critical penetration.
I watched my wife shoot her .380 with standard ammo from a 7 Oclock position and you can literally see the bullets flying to the target. A .32 is smaller diameter and smaller casing, maybe they have the same powder to bullet weight ratio I don't know.

I am not a fan of revolvers that shoot auto pistol casings. Auto casings for auto loaders and revolver casings for revolvers and vise versa JMO.

Now what I have thought about for my autoloader pocket pistol P238 .380 to get better penetration is getting a conversion barrel from .380 to .32NAA. The result is basically a magnum .32acp. A .380 casing pushing a necked down .32 bullet.
Much like the following that are extended casings.
.357 is the Magnum .38
9mm is the Magnum .380 acp
10mm is the Magnum .40 acp

022188602289_5d0bfe30353db.jpg

Last edited:

AlabamaLarry

Established Member
Jan 7, 2021
S. Huntsville, AL

What are the recoil issues that are experienced?