Does Anyone Else Here Reload?

packtray

Established Member
Jul 4, 2017
Alabama
Counter-intuitive, but running single stage for 9mm has been good for me. Then again, I run a single-stage for everything, since it's all I have. I've sort of wanted to do an upgrade, but the more moving parts, the less comfortable I am with the idea.

Blubayou

Established Member
Jan 10, 2021
Huntsville
I love to reload! Soon I will be teaching my son to reload since he is getting into shooting. My rule will be you get to shoot what you reload. Well...that doesn't appl to 22LR and the shotgun. Stocedk on those before COVID for $20 a half case.

Pillpeddler

Established Member
Sep 16, 2021
Anniston
I've been reloading almost all of my own ammo for the past 5 or 6 years. I can't imagine having to pay retail price, for as much as I shoot.

Does anyone else here reload? Is anyone interested in it, but has questions?
I've been reloading almost all of my own ammo for the past 5 or 6 years. I can't imagine having to pay retail price, for as much as I shoot.

Does anyone else here reload? Is anyone interested in it, but has questions?
Yep

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
I've been reloading, off and on, since 1973. RCBS Rock-chucker, Dillon 550, and a Star in .38 Special. The only thing I like in the Star over the Dillon is it primes on the downstroke. Of the two, I can load more in a certain amount of time on the Dillon.

KC1911

Established Member
Jun 5, 2017
LA
I processed about 10K pieces of 9mm last weekend.
Where did you find all those primers?! I'm jealous.
I'm relatively new to reloading, but I've made probably 2k rounds of 9mm, .380acp, 38spl, and 357 mag on my dillon square deal. I did purchase a couple dillon 550b and 550c to setup for 450 bushmaster, .308 and 5.56. Though I haven't tried them yet.

I do have a question though. I have been looking for 45 colt and couldn't find any. So i bought some 200 gr ftx 0.452 from hornady only to see that it was for 460sw. I looked for 185 gr ftx for the 45 colt because the hornday critical defense is in 185 gr. ok now to my 2 part question: I notice the hornady manual says to trim the case for ftx, what does this entail? and theres no load data for 200 gr. Help please? this is for bond arms and SW governor.

TIA

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
I do have a question though. I have been looking for 45 colt and couldn't find any. So i bought some 200 gr ftx 0.452 from hornady only to see that it was for 460sw. I looked for 185 gr ftx for the 45 colt because the hornday critical defense is in 185 gr. ok now to my 2 part question: I notice the hornady manual says to trim the case for ftx, what does this entail? and theres no load data for 200 gr. Help please? this is for bond arms and SW governor.

TIA
Firing stretches the case. Use a dial caliper to measure the case, after sizing, to see if it is still under trim length. If it is over, trim it using a case trimmer to cut it back to standard length. According to Hodgdon's Reloading Data Center, the .45 Colt case trim length is 1.280". They also have data for the 200 gr FTX bullet in .45 Colt. Check them out at HodgdonReloading(.)com. Also, pay attention to which .45 Colt load data you are looking at. There is separate data using Ruger, Freedom Arms, and T/C.

cajunuahfan

Established Member
Oct 2, 2023
Etowah County
New to Alabama and the group. I have been reloading for 14+ years. All handgun calibers. I have a Lee turret system.

One of the main reasons I load is I have a disabled daughter that loves to shoot. She only has use of one hand so I make loads that are good enough to cycle but that is about it. This way she can shoot as much as she wants to, typically wears me out at the range.

Funny story I have to tell about her. One time she asked me if I could make a light .357 round. I looked at her and said, you mean a 38?

uechikid

Established Member
May 27, 2023
Theodore
I reloaded some before I moved here. Still pretty new at it. I thought that moving to a free state that I would be able to find more like minded people to learn and share a common interest. So far that hasn’t happened. The gun clubs with organized shoots are few and far between and the ones that are in my area are very expensive. I haven’t been on here for very long but I check in from Time to time.
Ooops. I guess this post became a poor me. Sorry.

aftac19

Established Member
Sep 23, 2022
Huntsville
Brother happens to all if us, I have had the same issue. Do not talk about religion if you want to have friends in this area.

Chikn

Established Member
Sep 2, 2023
Opp
trying to get into it. anyone got a good online guide to get started?

Online info can be good and bad.
Get a reloading manual.
Read it.
Lyman makes one of the best for actually learning the good stuff. I know....I just told you to get a book. Books are great preps.

Or feel free to pick my brain. Ive been handloading for 41 years.

rybern

Established Member
Aug 31, 2023
Albertville, Alabama
I load pistol on a Dillon Square Deal and also have a Dillon 550 and a Lee single stage Classic Cast. I started with the Lee single stage and loaded less than 50 rounds before I purchased the Square Deal back in 2010. I bought the 550 in 2014 for rifle. I've loaded about 60k rounds on the Square Deal.

Uncdav

Wait,Wait I'm almost ready.....
Nov 22, 2023
Outback of woodshed
Like many of y'all my father taught me to cast even before I was trusted to load. Factory ammo was an unheard of critter. In any caliber. If you bought a gun in a chambering you weren't already set up for you better come home with dies and the most popular mould. As a newlywed we loaded on an old Lyman orange peeler.When family grew to 3 shooters,we invested in a lee progressive pro 1000.Then when grandkids started shooting we got a second lee,and then a third. By that time the demand overran the abilities of the 3 lee's and they began to wear out. Now at 6 grandkids, a wife a son ,and a papa that would hit the range with a vengeance We needed something "more"better . Enter the Dillon 650 and finally we can feed the hungry hoard!
So, yes we reload and yep cast our own and you bet ya our bond is tight even when our groups are not.
Uncdav

RTJ Traveler

Established Member
Jan 25, 2024
Prattville
I'm new here to the forum. However, I have been reloading/hand loading for 20 years now. I have a Dillon RL 550 currently. This is my third press, I started with a "Square Deal B" and built that up, sold it and bought another rig. After selling that machine, I now have my last set up (no more selling) in my Dillon RL 550.

I have loaded the following calibers (not in any particular order) - .38/.357 magnum, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 5.56mm and .270 Win.

Sometimes I don't know whether I enjoy reloading more or shooting more.

Ricochet

Jan 20, 2024
Auburn
Online info can be good and bad.
Get a reloading manual.
Read it.
Lyman makes one of the best for actually learning the good stuff. I know....I just told you to get a book. Books are great preps.

Or feel free to pick my brain. Ive been handloading for 41 years.
I love Foghorn Leghorn!
I also love reloading.
I have been unlucky to learn about the Lyman 310 Ideal tool too late. I really want to own one but it is being sold on Ebay like a collectible item and not a tool.
I refuse to pay the pyramid prices.
I have the Lee one for 45 acp but I think the Lyman is a better, or at least more interesting design.
I also bought a Bonanza Powder Measure ( the original ones not the Forster remake of same model ) and. Lyman Ideal 55 powder measure ( original not the China made one ).
My main press is an RCBS Summit Press and I liked it so much I bought another one.