Does Anyone Else Here Reload?

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I am on the fence about getting into reloading, and I understand there are several reasons one might reload.

With 9mm, I looked at possibly being able to make ammo for less money than buying it (name brand boxed ammo is accurate enough for my use).

By the time I added up all the costs related to say a progressive press with the better dies and powder scales, etc, etc that I would need to buy I was at about $1100 (give or take) just to get started

and I figured I would save about 4 cents per round over buying them on sale. I figure it costs 12-13 cents per round to reload 9mm, shopping online I can find 17-18 cents per round. So at 25,000 rounds I break even :)

Then I think about all the time involved and I would not make out value wise reloading 9mm

Now that I am shooting more 6.5 creedmoor, I started to rethink reloading, again to save money. Now I can see saving 25 cents per round and getting far better consistency at the same time on 6.5.

I thought about an RCBS kit for $365

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9354-Su...6477000&sr=1-7&keywords=hornady+lock+and+load

add some dies and maybe be in business for $550

Then I would start to be even at 2200 rounds ;) but would have much better consistency, but would still take years to recover initial investment

Then I think if we ever get an anti-gun president in office again, which will happen eventually, I will wish I had the ability to reload (the Obama ammo shortage is still in my mind)

So the question I am leading up to is, what are the tools/parts I need to get started reloading 6.5? creedmoor? Would the RCBS kit above be a reasonable start? or should I get something else?

I know I need to set aside about $150 or so for the better quality dies, already read enough to know I don't want the cheaper ones.

TennJeep1618

Established Member
Sep 11, 2017
Fairhope
I am on the fence about getting into reloading, and I understand there are several reasons one might reload.

With 9mm, I looked at possibly being able to make ammo for less money than buying it (name brand boxed ammo is accurate enough for my use).

By the time I added up all the costs related to say a progressive press with the better dies and powder scales, etc, etc that I would need to buy I was at about $1100 (give or take) just to get started

and I figured I would save about 4 cents per round over buying them on sale. I figure it costs 12-13 cents per round to reload 9mm, shopping online I can find 17-18 cents per round. So at 25,000 rounds I break even :)

Then I think about all the time involved and I would not make out value wise reloading 9mm

Now that I am shooting more 6.5 creedmoor, I started to rethink reloading, again to save money. Now I can see saving 25 cents per round and getting far better consistency at the same time on 6.5.

I thought about an RCBS kit for $365

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9354-Su...6477000&sr=1-7&keywords=hornady+lock+and+load

add some dies and maybe be in business for $550

Then I would start to be even at 2200 rounds ;) but would have much better consistency, but would still take years to recover initial investment

Then I think if we ever get an anti-gun president in office again, which will happen eventually, I will wish I had the ability to reload (the Obama ammo shortage is still in my mind)

So the question I am leading up to is, what are the tools/parts I need to get started reloading 6.5? creedmoor? Would the RCBS kit above be a reasonable start? or should I get something else?

I know I need to set aside about $150 or so for the better quality dies, already read enough to know I don't want the cheaper ones.

It really all depends on how much you shoot, what kind of free time could you dedicate to reloading, and what your ultimate goals are.

If you want to get the most out of your 6.5CM, then reloading will allow you to do that. If you just plan on plinking occasionally, then there is no reason to get into reloading.

You can definitely save money by reloading (or shoot more for the same $$$), but it will cost you time and you'll have to figure out how much your time is worth. My 1050 and bullet feeder have already paid for themselves over the last couple years, and the autodrive will likely pay for itself in the next couple (besides that fact that it saves my shoulder from 10K handle pulls per year).

Almtnman

Established Member
Army
Dec 13, 2018
Northeast Alabama
I reload 270 Winchester, 30-06, 7.5 Swiss, 44 mag, 44 Special, 223 & 45acp. My rifle loads are much more accurate than any factory loads. Been reloading for 25+ years.

Jack Ryan

Established Member
Feb 2, 2019
Indiana
30-06, 30-30, 45-70, 243, 22-250, 223

380, 9mm,10mm, 40 S&W, 357 ,38, 44, 44mag,45 acp

12 gauge, 20 gauge, and 410, bird shot, buck shot, and slugs.

I use RCBS and Lyman single stage presses. RCBS, Lyman, and Lee dies

Lee and MEC shot shell presses.

Almtnman

Established Member
Army
Dec 13, 2018
Northeast Alabama
I want to learn more about reloading so I know.
Best way to get into reloading is start out on a single stage press. RCBS has a kit with enough basics to get started. Then you add components as you advance. That’s what I started on and still use but I’ve added a lot of stuff to make it easier. When you buy the RCBS master reloaded kit just read the loading manual cover to cover then read it again. Next open the manual and follow each step and reload one brass or maybe 5 brass to get the hang of it. A word of caution is you cannot make mistakes so be sure to check and recheck yourself on each step or the loading process. Then always be in a good mood when loading so you don’t make a mistake. Don’t reload anything on static electricity days either. That’s those days when you get the little shock touching your vehicle when exiting. I taught myself that same way and you can also. The kit does not come with dies so you have to buy dies and a shell holder for each caliber you load, plus primers and powder. It’s a little expensive getting setup but extremely rewarding when you load your first ammo and shoot it.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Ya it will be a while before I get into it because of space and space plus I’m hording ammo at the moment plus I only need 9mm and 223 or 5.56 as that’s all I have.

Jack Ryan

Established Member
Feb 2, 2019
Indiana
Ya it will be a while before I get into it because of space and space plus I’m hording ammo at the moment plus I only need 9mm and 223 or 5.56 as that’s all I have.
Learn on the 223. 9mm is already about as cheap to buy as to reload.

The post above about the kit is about the best advice you can get short of learning it from your dad while you are still living at home.

Get some permanent magic markers in 3 or 4 colors to mark the primer in each different loading session so you can tell one from another. If something is wrong with one when you shoot them, you can sort out all of those, check your notes, and sometimes fix it.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I like that idea, I will prob keep an eye out for a used press and get some dies. I knowbrass can be had from many places.

wynnjammer

Established Member
Jan 30, 2016
I just reload a little

Attachments

• 6B50A14E-C74C-475E-A38E-9EF614659E02.jpeg
    6B50A14E-C74C-475E-A38E-9EF614659E02.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11

Jack Ryan

Established Member
Feb 2, 2019
Indiana
I like that idea, I will prob keep an eye out for a used press and get some dies. I know brass can be had from many places.

If you aren't afraid to buy used then check out the auctions in your area. Look for estate auctions. The old guys kick off and no one else in the family has a clue. By the end of the auction they are tossing whole piles in a " whole box for one money" just to get rid of it.

KC1911

Established Member
Jun 5, 2017
LA
I bought a dillon square deal b press a few years ago, but thats when ammo was well priced and never really messed with it until recently. I've since the onset of covid-19 added two dillon 550s to accommodate my rifle rounds. Finding primers and stuff is difficult and my most recent issue is light strikes from my j frame on 38spl. Its definitely a learning curve.