Down-Loaded Magazines at the Range

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Most range outings with a semi-auto handgun, I will take part of the session to download magazines from their normal capacity and mix them up on the mat before stashing two in their mag pouches and seating one in the gun without looking at them.

Obviously, if shooting with a buddy, they can mix the mags up for you for maximum “surprise.”

1, 2, 3, or 4 rounds...like Forrest Gump’s proverbial box of chocolates, “you never know what you’re gonna get.” It forces some mag-change practice and stretches a box of ammo at the same time. That the range I typically attend allows drawing from the holster on the line (after a bit of training and evaluation), it makes for some overall nice practice.

Attachments

• 764BB464-3BAE-49E6-952E-8AF6F2CB4C35.jpeg
    764BB464-3BAE-49E6-952E-8AF6F2CB4C35.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
I have been doing that for decades. Used to do mag changes blindfolded when I was a young cop in Montgomery! When I taught tac classes I'd have the shooters prep mags with 1,2, and 3. Shooter would hand mags to shooter next door and THAT SHOOTER would place the mags in the pouch and into the magwell. THEN, I would remove mags and insert dummys or empty cases and place back into mag pouch and mag well! Things got interesting real quick when I yelled 'THREAT".