G19 vs G43X Appendix Carry

Drsp4rks

Established Member
Jun 18, 2024
Birmingham
Hey guys I’m interested in upgrading my edc setup to an appendix tier 1 axis holster and a Glock 19 or Glock 43X. Any opinions or suggestions on which gun? I also will be adding a light and micro red dot.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
While I am not a fan of ANY appendix carry, I think that the larger the frame the more of an issue it is. IF you insist on appendix carry, go with the smallest platform you can.

Drsp4rks

Established Member
Jun 18, 2024
Birmingham
While I am not a fan of ANY appendix carry, I think that the larger the frame the more of an issue it is. IF you insist on appendix carry, go with the smallest platform you can.
Ah thanks for the input. That is a major factor on the 43x side for sure. Just out of curiosity what are your biggest reasons for no appendix carry?

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
Ah thanks for the input. That is a major factor on the 43x side for sure. Just out of curiosity what are your biggest reasons for no appendix carry?
If I were standing 100% of the time, I wouldn't be so dead set against it. However, as soon as you need to sit down appendix carry becomes a liability and a pain (literally). I find the 4 o'clock to 5 o'clock position to be the most comfortable and functional for all situations I could be in. If I lived in weather where I always wore a sports coat, I'd probably also consider a shoulder holster.

dan5993

Aug 3, 2024
Fort Novosel
I would go with the 43x, unless the capacity is an issue for you.

I appendix carry a Glock 26 with a TLR-6. I figured the shorter grip would conceal better than a larger gun like the G19, yet has the advantage of being able to use high cap mags when I want. I carry appendix and don't find it uncomfortable, whether I am standing or sitting. I didn't really notice a change in comfort after adding the light, despite the new holster being wider than the old one.

However, I have carried a friends 43x which has a longer, but thinner, grip than my 26. I found it to be more comfortable to carry, and much easier to conceal. His holster had those "wings" on it that angle the grip towards you more and it basically disappeared under a T shirt. The downside to the 43x is that you basically are stuck with the 10rd factory mags unless you want a longer mag that sticks out more, or trust aftermarket parts. Shield Arms makes a 15rd metal mag the same size as the OEM glock 43x mag, but it requires installing their proprietary mag release.

rybern

Established Member
Aug 31, 2023
Albertville, Alabama
I'm quite fond of both the G19 and the G43X. I own and have owned a G17, G19, G26, G34, G43 and G43X for many years. I'm 5'7" and 150 lbs and have been carrying appendix for at least 6 years. I carried IWB at 3 o'clock prior to that. Depending on where I'm going or what I'm doing, I'll have my 43X in a Tier 1 Axis Elite(with spare mag) or my G43(with GAP industries mag base plate) carried AIWB.

I was one of the people that used to think AWIB was un-nerving and crazy. But I slowly came around it it. I've owned and competed with Glocks since 2000 and have never had one go off on it's own. Once I started looking into the benefits of appendix I was slowly won over. The advantages WAY out way the traditional 3 o'clock IMHO. Drawing while seated at a table, drawing while in a vehicle, quicker draw, easier to protect my gun if in an altercation.... there's likely others. It's not for everyone though and I'm not trying to talk anyone into it. Just sharing my opinion. There's lots of YouTube videos on the subject.

The 43x is substantially more comfortable and easier to conceal than the G19 to me. I have also tried out and trust the Shield Arms mags. I have been using Shield Arms mags for 5 years and about 2600 rounds. The Shield Arms Gen3 mags and mag release will allow the use of OEM mags. I've shot many USPSA matches and taken several classes with my G43x/Shield Arms mags without issue.

I would not recommend any trigger components other than stock or maybe Apex in my SD and CCW guns.

This Tier1 Axis Elite is for a G48. 31 rounds on tap.
20240804_153136.jpg

Most comfortable and concealable: G43
20240804_153145.jpg

20240804_153159.jpg

Last edited:

New Sales

Members online