Welcome to Alabama Gun Forum

Alabama Gun Forum is a place to buy, sell and talk firearms for free and privately. Not on facebook, locally owned!

• Alabama Gun Forum is a free, privately owned and supported community of gun owners. Alabama Gun Forum is free to join and free to use the marketplace. We are always working to improve the community. Please be aware of all forum rules and all gun regulations related to selling and buying firearms. Alabama Gun Forum is not responsible for transactions on this forum.
  • Start Here : Helpful information: 1. Forum Rules | 2. Introduction forum | 3. How to Post Images | 4. Firearm Classifieds
Coated bullets

Gun cleaning

RandallC

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Reaction score
For the last 4 months my glock has been a safe queen. Got her out today and cleaned her while the kids are at the in-laws.

CE90F5FE-6C49-4B5A-93DC-B0B5DC8851B8.jpeg

I like the way hoppes smells when cleaning a firearm.

RandallC

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Admin
It was alittle dirty from last use but needed some cleaning. Plus I want it to be clean and ready for next use.

Sam Owens

Reaction score
After cleaning get some ALG Go Juice best oil out there. I cleaned a lever gun then used it, it felt like a gunsmith had slicked it up.

A S Parker

Reaction score
I try to stay away from chemicals with ammonia or harsh chemicals. I know they have there place. They just really irritate my eyes. I have been using lucas oil, shooters and otis products.

Rubicon

Reaction score
I usually lube with grease on just about everything. Pistols, rifles, whatever. People look at me funny when I tell them that but its worked great so far. I dont grease the firing pin or anything crazy. Before I got turned on to grease, I used automotive oil. Loads of research and development put into it for high temp operation and you get a lot of it for cheap compared to gun oils...yall gonna shun me now? Lol

Tator Man

Reaction score
I usually lube with grease on just about everything. Pistols, rifles, whatever. People look at me funny when I tell them that but its worked great so far. I dont grease the firing pin or anything crazy. Before I got turned on to grease, I used automotive oil. Loads of research and development put into it for high temp operation and you get a lot of it for cheap compared to gun oils...yall gonna shun me now? Lol
No. Try marvel mystery oil, its good stuff.

RandallC

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopps #9 here all the way, love the old style smell.

4CERTN

Reaction score
I’ve been using Ballistol for a while for my gun cleaning needs. Love the results, started using it thanks to a favorite online gun-guy, Hickok45.

That said - it does reek. The most polite way I can describe it is to say it smells like feet - my wife might have a less-polite way to categorize it haha!

I generally use Militec-1 lube-wise, though I have used synthetic motor oil and even a little marine-grade grease on AR bolts in the past.

Bolts Rock

Reaction score
Ed's Red for everything but copper fouling and BP. I've been using it since Ed Harris (C. E. Harris) came up with it in the early 90s and I did the testing against Mil-C-372 for him. It's based on a Frankford Arsenal formula from Hatcher's Notebook and works fantastic.

Equal parts Dextron II or higher (not Merocn or any others), mineral spirits (or Varsol, Stoddard Solvent), K-1 kerosene (or JP-1 through JP-4, Jet A or Jet B) and acetone.

Targe

Reaction score
Hot soapy water with Dawn works great for cleaning dirty guns. Dry completely (blow dryer), follow with whatever solvents you prefer, then lube.

Targe

Reaction score
Consider dry lube including graphite powder or quuck dry spray especially for dusty/dirry conditions and/or dry climate.