Gun cleaning

Sam O

Established Member
Feb 3, 2016
Eva, AL
After cleaning get some ALG Go Juice best oil out there. I cleaned a lever gun then used it, it felt like a gunsmith had slicked it up.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
I try to stay away from cleaners with ammonia or harsh chemicals. I know they have there place. They just really irritate my eyes. I have been using lucas oil, shooters and otis products.

Last edited:

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
I usually lube with grease on just about everything. Pistols, rifles, whatever. People look at me funny when I tell them that but its worked great so far. I dont grease the firing pin or anything crazy. Before I got turned on to grease, I used automotive oil. Loads of research and development put into it for high temp operation and you get a lot of it for cheap compared to gun oils...yall gonna shun me now? Lol

Tator Man

Established Member
Jun 10, 2018
Greensboro Al.
I usually lube with grease on just about everything. Pistols, rifles, whatever. People look at me funny when I tell them that but its worked great so far. I dont grease the firing pin or anything crazy. Before I got turned on to grease, I used automotive oil. Loads of research and development put into it for high temp operation and you get a lot of it for cheap compared to gun oils...yall gonna shun me now? Lol
No. Try marvel mystery oil, its good stuff.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I’ve been using Ballistol for a while for my gun cleaning needs. Love the results, started using it thanks to a favorite online gun-guy, Hickok45.

That said - it does reek. The most polite way I can describe it is to say it smells like feet - my wife might have a less-polite way to categorize it haha!

I generally use Militec-1 lube-wise, though I have used synthetic motor oil and even a little marine-grade grease on AR bolts in the past.

Bolts Rock

Established Member
Nov 21, 2020
Harvest
Ed's Red for everything but copper fouling and BP. I've been using it since Ed Harris (C. E. Harris) came up with it in the early 90s and I did the testing against Mil-C-372 for him. It's based on a Frankford Arsenal formula from Hatcher's Notebook and works fantastic.

Equal parts Dextron II or higher (not Merocn or any others), mineral spirits (or Varsol, Stoddard Solvent), K-1 kerosene (or JP-1 through JP-4, Jet A or Jet B) and acetone.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I just use Breakfree CLP for everything. It's not the absolute best at any one task but it does everything it needs to for me so far.

alashooter

Established Member
May 15, 2021
Gsadsden, al
For carbon I use GM top engine cleaner...barrels use Butchs and I also like wipe out. Lube on 1911's I use gun butter. I bought a Night Hawk pistol and they sent the gun butter with the pistol. Works great.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I am bringing this back around and going to get me some ballistol. Been watching youtube videos and getting some feedback.

coachwill

Established Member
Apr 8, 2021
Vestavia Hills
For anyone that has issues with anything petroleum based, I can recommend Frog Lube. I have used the paste and liquid for a few years with good results.
I used to be the southeast distributor for them and have been using it since at least 2010. Only stuff I use on all my weapons.

MadeInDixie

Staff member
May 10, 2016
Birmingham
Has anyone ever tried shooter lube? I loved it but when I put it up in storage when I moved in with my grandmother, the stage 1 bottle fell over and I didn't know it so I didn't find out until a year later that it had all completely spilled out. Super pissed