Gun stock maker

jeffalgol

Established Member
Jan 14, 2023
Bessemer
Does anyone know a reputable place that makes gunstocks at a decent price? I got a Crack In My J.C Higgins 12 gauge stock.

jeffalgol

Established Member
Jan 14, 2023
Bessemer
Definitely fix it yourself with epoxy. It will hold up well. I'm interested in a picture too.
I dont know if i should work on it. Only wood work i know is with a chainsaw lol. Is it like glue? You just stick it on there and be done with it?

Attachments

• 20231226_223157.jpg
    20231226_223157.jpg
    819.7 KB · Views: 15

Plainsman

Established Member
Oct 24, 2023
Calhoun County
To me, that crack looks pretty old. Have you noticed it getting any bigger, or possibly longer? If you thing the stock is still structurally sound, you might just consider cleaning it out and putting a little epoxy in the crack and keep an eye on it.

If you want to go further, you could use a sharp exacto knife and clean the crack out well, then make a "v" shape right over the crack and put epoxy in the groove. Tape off the parts of the stock you don't want to get epoxy on with painters tape.

You will still be able to see the fixed spot, but you might find some epoxy that can be stained, that way it won't be so noticeable. It's been years since I fixed a stock this way, but I can't even see the crack after being fixed.

If the crack is small but big enough to put some carpenters glue in, you can put the glue in a syringe and inject it sort of. Clamp if necessary.

jeffalgol

Established Member
Jan 14, 2023
Bessemer
Well it wasn't noticeable before but it may be my eyes. Last I went to the skeet range it was pointed out to me by a buddy about 2 hours in the range that was with me i dont think it was there but i could have missed it., so I just put it up in the safe till I could find a stock or something. I'll gonna try your methods hopefully I don't screw up. Thank you for the information plainsman and bama55.

FatDog

Established Member
Oct 24, 2023
Birmingham, AL
I design and build furniture I've also done a lot of repairs. In my opinion, simply applying epoxy on the surface won't repair or stop the crack, which I don't think is a significant flaw from what I can tell from the photo. If you feel compelled to do something then drill a minute hole about 1/2" deep at both ends of the crack and inject epoxy into them. Be sure to tape off anything you don't want epoxy. Epoxy can be colored but it will not accept stain. YRMV.

jeffalgol

Established Member
Jan 14, 2023
Bessemer
I design and build furniture I've also done a lot of repairs. In my opinion, simply applying epoxy on the surface won't repair or stop the crack, which I don't think is a significant flaw from what I can tell from the photo. If you feel compelled to do something then drill a minute hole about 1/2" deep at both ends of the crack and inject epoxy into them. Be sure to tape off anything you don't want epoxy. Epoxy can be colored but it will not accept stain. YRMV.
Never messed with epoxy alot, won't drilling 1/2 weaken the stock? Not a wood worker so my knowledge is a bit lacking.

FatDog

Established Member
Oct 24, 2023
Birmingham, AL
Not really, jeffalgol. You're trying to keep the crack from running. The hole diameter should be tiny. Less than 1/16". The depth is just a guess on my part. You want it deep enough to reach the bottom of the crack.