Gunsmith In B'ham (or surrounding) Area?

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
Looking for recommendations on a gunsmith in the metro area.

I've got an old Rem. 1100 that I want to refresh...need someone that can remove the existing rifle sights on the barrel, re-parkerize the barrel, and install a ghost ring sight set (solder front sight onto barrel, drill/tap receiver for rear sight).

sleepy4sureishere

Established Member
Nov 30, 2020
N. Alabama
Hey KWB, Depending on the Backlog and how far out he is on his turnaround time Chris Gillis is highly capable of taking care of you...He's "The Man" at Southern Custom Guns...Here's his number: 205-863-6323...He's located just up I 20 East from Bham in Eastaboga Al...
Good Luck & I Hope this Helps you out Brother!!!! :)

sleepy4sureishere

Established Member
Nov 30, 2020
N. Alabama
Hey kwb, I can also Echo Teddys Suggestion: Dan Cooper at Sand Mountain Shooters Club is another highly qualified Smith...They are a little N. of Attalla Al. just as you reach the top of Sand Moutain on Hwy 431 N in a small Community called Mountainboro... Dans # 256 593 8027. They are closed on Mondays but open 6 days a week and All Holidays... Dan is retired Veteran as well!!!
Hope this info helps you or anyone else needing Honest, Quality, Smith Work!!!!

Michael1967

Established Member
Mar 31, 2019
warrior
Looking for recommendations on a gunsmith in the metro area.

I've got an old Rem. 1100 that I want to refresh...need someone that can remove the existing rifle sights on the barrel, re-parkerize the barrel, and install a ghost ring sight set (solder front sight onto barrel, drill/tap receiver for rear sight).
A1 armoror in hayden is great

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
I don't think there is a true gunsmith here in Tuscaloosa. I've looked for one to convert a chokeless shotgun to one to accept chokes. Their are a few that call themselves gunsmiths but I don't know what they actually do. Maybe swap out a trigger group or clean the gun for you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
A1 Armour in hayden is north of Birmingham

I used him for a couple of transfers, went pretty smoothly. I also wanted to get him to take a look at a '65-vintage Win. 1200 that needed a re-blueing on the barrel. His business hours/days are somewhat limited, but I went up there twice after work during the listed hours and he was closed. Third time, I called before leaving work to verify he would be in the shop..."Sure...c'mon by, I'm here 'til 6". Drove 45 minutes, arrived at 4:15...nobody there.

4l65e

Established Member
Apr 30, 2023
Alabama
Hey kwb, I can also Echo Teddys Suggestion: Dan Cooper at Sand Mountain Shooters Club is another highly qualified Smith...They are a little N. of Attalla Al. just as you reach the top of Sand Moutain on Hwy 431 N in a small Community called Mountainboro... Dans # 256 593 8027. They are closed on Mondays but open 6 days a week and All Holidays... Dan is retired Veteran as well!!!
Hope this info helps you or anyone else needing Honest, Quality, Smith Work!!!!

It's been a while since I've been there, but I've bought some shotgun stuff from him in the past.
Most recently I walked in with an old Remington Sportsman 48 and he had an action spring and wooden plug in the back; exactly what I needed to get that gun working.

Great place.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
Bumping this thread with another question...

Has anyone used any of the B'ham area 'smiths to have a barrel cut, recrowned and threaded? I'll be mounting a suppressor, so I need a professional job and not someone with a hacksaw and a tap/die kit.