How did you get started in Reloading?

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
Some time around 2004 I decided that if I wanted to continue to afford my hobby I was going to have to figure out how to hand load. I didn't have a mentor or any friends who could teach me so I did a shit-ton of research and finally pulled the trigger on a Lee Classic Turret set. It was a figure-it-out-as-you-go situation. I did have have Mark at Southern Firearms (remember them?) to bounce questions off of, but I was mostly self-taught. I started with .38 sp, .357, and .45 ACP. What a dumb-ass I was, lucky to still have all my fingers.

Peter379111

Established Member
Apr 25, 2022
Central Al.
My buddy gave me a bunch of old reloading magazines and being as I was always into shooting, I checked out his setup. Bought a Dillon 550 first and then later bought a rockchucker. I know that’s backwards. Then got a bunch of lead and molds and started casting. It is an enjoyable hobby but I definitely have not saved money. I’ve spent a ton. But I am setup to reload for most every caliber I have now and have fun doing it.
I bought 5k primers when I first started at the beginning of 2020 for $25 per thousand. That was a good move.

Tired old man

Established Member
Jul 2, 2022
Near Birmingham
Started reloading in the 80’s because.44 special ammo was so expensive. I started with a Lyman T mag turret press and a little dandy powder measure. The gunshop set the dies up for me. I loaded just one load for a long time. 6 grains of unique and a 240 swc.

After that I hooked. Over the years I have loaded for everything from .32 S&W to .375 H&H. These days I load mainly for pistol and .5.56.