How did you get started in Reloading?

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
How did you get started in reloading? Was it cost or reliablity?

Almtnman

Established Member
Army
Dec 13, 2018
Northeast Alabama
I got started by buying an RCBS Master Reloader kit which contained the bare bones basic to load some rounds. I’ve since added a lot of components that I can load many calibers. I read the reloading manual that came with the kit twice, then slowly followed the directions one by one to load 5 30-06 rounds. It was like winning the lottery to know that I had produced my very own ammo! I let my son go through the process and instructed him in each step to load a few rounds. He went and bought the same kit next day and was on his way to becoming a reloader. He has now surpassed me in technology on loading ammo.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
I started because of Obama. Ammo became scarce/expensive in 2012. I took a basic reloading course and started with a single stage press. Eventually added a progresive. There are lots of you tube videos and gun forums for instruction. I reload for about a dozen calibers. I got into long range precision rifle and use the single stage to have more control reloading those rounds. I use the progressive to churn out handgun ammo. I probably spent about $2k in equipment over the years. I defintately made my money back, especially with the cost of ammo during droughts. I used to shoot at least 1k rounds per month before I moved to AL. I haven't had the time nor access to a nearby range. But, the bench is set up and ready to go.

Almtnman

Established Member
Army
Dec 13, 2018
Northeast Alabama
Owls Hollow range is just north of you about 5 miles or so north of Gadsden. I go there whenever I have time. It’s isolated, so don’t go alone.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
Thanks, I'll look into it. Although, when working up a load, I am usually at the range for hours and alone. Heritage is the closest to me but they seem to be always capped for membership.

I don't want to hijack this thread. I'll take this up in the favorite range thread

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
How did you get started in reloading? Was it cost or reliablity?
Had a friend that loaded for cost savings and he showed me the ropes.
I followed suit for both reasons. It did cost to get into it, but once the initial outlay was spent the savings piled up.

Accuracy is a big factor. Two guys I hunted with back in the day, both went to a fairly big chain sporting goods store, both purchased the same make, model and chambering rifle, the SNs were only about 300 apart. Both rifles shot WILDLY differently with the same off the shelf factory ammo. One rifle "hated" xyz grain/brand rounds, the other "loved" that same ammo. 3" groups for one rifle, 1/2" for the other, and so on. There was likely enough wear on the manufacturing tools to make just enough difference between those two mass produced rifles to make a HUGE difference in how they behaved with certain ammo.
We can't all afford a $3, 4, 5K custom rifle, but most of us can afford a Rock Chucker, some powder and primers and "build" an ideal round for our off the shelf rifle.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
Hornady LNL Classic Kit. I started because of my cousin. I wanted to try to build my own ammo like him. I have added all kinds of items to the reloading setup. I now reload pistol and 5.56 ammo on a Hornady LNL AP. I can shoot more for the same amount of money I would have budgeted for loaded ammo. I still roll my precision rifle ammo one round at a time.

Last edited:

MarkW

Established Member
May 6, 2021
Pinson
I purchased a used RCBS rock chucker from a friend years ago and read enough books to feel comfortable trying it. I now have three presses for various set ups. I reload for my revolvers, and starting to reload for my surplus rifles. Impossible to find 7.7Jap ammo for my Arisaka and 7.5 x 53.5 for my Schmidt-Rubin.

alashooter

Established Member
May 15, 2021
Gsadsden, al
I started reloading in early 70's for accuracy. Pistols and rifles. Started with a rock chucker but now I have 6 different presses. I eventually got into bench rest shooting which is a different kind of loading. We load as we shoot. WE shoot five for record and several on bottom target...then go back to table and load 7 to 10 more. For this type of loading, I use a Harrells press. Regular loading is done mostly on a Bonanza. press. This is my first post and so happy I found this site. I am in the Gadsden area.

packtray

Established Member
Jul 4, 2017
Alabama
I started about three years ago with a Lee Loader, and have since moved up to a turret. If you'd have told me I would be reloading to save money on ammo two years ago, I'd have laughed, but that's where we're at at this point.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
My chemistry teacher in high school offered to teach me to reload but I never took him up on it and I really wish I had. Not worth getting into fresh right now anyway since there's no primers.

American Patriot

American Patriot
Army
May 8, 2021
Hoover
I got started when I purchased my first wildcat (6.5 SAUM). It was either start reloading or continue paying $6.00 per round from Copper Creek.

Turkeyneck

Established Member
Jan 24, 2021
Athens
I started about 15 years ago when I was pig hunting in Texas, I bought a used RCBS Rock Chucker setup. I hunted 2-4 times a week, year round for the most part and was running a 257 Roberts and 6.8 SPC II most of the time. I quit when I moved out here because I don't hunt or shoot as much but I did start reloading again last year when I picked up a 45-70. I've used that caliber for years and it's fun to shoot and easy to reload. I use the basic Lee setup now.

Jlk59

Established Member
Oct 25, 2020
Marbury
Started off with a wildcat. Out of necessity, bought a 14" contender in 30 herrett. Made my cases from 30-30 brass. Bumped back the shoulder and cut to length. Been doing it ever since 1977. Since then I have had an affinity for wildcats. Latest was a 30-375 ruger. One of the most accurate and hard hitting rifles I have. It puts them on there back quickly. Another make your case rifle. It was the precursor to the 300 prc.

Blubayou

Established Member
Jan 10, 2021
Huntsville
I started with 38 special. A buddy of mine upgrade his multi stage Lee loader and gave me a killer deal on a three stage lee loader with 38 dies. That has been over 10 years ago and now I reload 380, 40SW, 6.5 Grendel, 556 and 308. I also have a Lee Classic for 30-06 and I love it....if I could find some damn primers I would be reloading right now!

jMarine

Established Member
Feb 5, 2022
Pelham
Side note: there sure isn’t a lot of people posting in the reloading section. I guess that’s on the account of the lack of supplies available!

Anyways, I got into reloading because I was in need of a fun hobby and I love to shoot. I had a lot of secondhand knowledge about reloading I just never owned any equipment. I eventually decided to take the plunge about 10 years ago and it’s been all she wrote after that. I’m just about as deep in the danged ole rabbit hole as it gets! There was a perilous a few years back that this hobby really started to take off, and then Covid, and then biden… but I digress. Look forward to networking with you folks!

Jpope

Established Member
Aug 5, 2021
Childersburg, AL
357 Sig is what got me started. From there I picked up an affinity for 10mm. You couldn't find anything in either caliber at the time. I've always had a fascination with the early wildcatters so instead of paying ridiculous prices for 257 Weatherby, I started loading those. Picked up the standard 9mm, 357/38, 40, 45, 45lc, 308, 5.56/223, 22-250, 7mag, 7mm-08, 30-30, 35 Rem, 300 Win, Wby, Rem ultra mags, 300 BLK, 6.5 grendel, 6.8 SPC, 243, 338 federal, 270. I'm sure there's more that I can't think of at the moment. Bottom line it was availability at the time but snowballed from there.