How far foward do you mount reflex sights?

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
I've seen reflex sights mounted all over the rail. How far foward do yall mount yalls reflex sights and why? I'm getting my first one here soon.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
For handguns, I put them as close to the rear of the slide as I can. Works better for me the closer they are to the pivot axis of my grip.

For long guns, IMO there's more room for leeway when you're shouldering the gun, but I still put then as close to my eyes as I can.

Last edited:

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
On an AR, I generally mount any type of red dot over the ejection port...that seems to be where my eyes like them best.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Depends on the gun. On an AR you want to mount them as far forward as you can while still on the receiver (don't mount them to the handguard as it's not as stable and will affect zero), on an AK you want to mount them to either one of the old Soviet-style side mounts or to a railed gas tube. They make railed dust covers but they're not really sturdy enough.

jimmy2-guns

Established Member
Aug 3, 2021
Enterprise
Depends on the gun. On an AR you want to mount them as far forward as you can while still on the receiver (don't mount them to the handguard as it's not as stable and will affect zero), on an AK you want to mount them to either one of the old Soviet-style side mounts or to a railed gas tube. They make railed dust covers but they're not really sturdy enough.
same here