If you could design your EDC handgun from the ground up, what would it be?

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
Would you use a particular platform (Glock, 1911, P365, 2011) as a base? What would you do in terms of grip length? Barrel length? Caliber?

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
My gun generally lives in my truck. However, I do conceal carry from time to time. I prefer polymer striker fire pistols. I really like full length grips.

Honestly, it would be like the shadow systems Elite XR920 with a few changes.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
1911 in .45 ACP, steel-frame, 5-inch barrel. Novak or similar sights. Single-sided thumb safety. Beavertail grip safety. Ring or Commander-style hammer. Long-reach solid trigger. Checkered frontstrap. Flat, checkered mainspring housing. I dig blued 1911s but for EDC I’d opt for some sort of corrosion-proof finish like a matte stainless, maybe hard-chrome, or nitride / smoked nitride.

Fudd City? Yeah, I reckon that’s me. :)

rnfns1990

Established Member
1911 in .45 ACP, steel-frame, 5-inch barrel. Novak or similar sights. Single-sided thumb safety. Beavertail grip safety. Ring or Commander-style hammer. Long-reach solid trigger. Checkered frontstrap. Flat, checkered mainspring housing. I dig blued 1911s but for EDC I’d opt for some sort of corrosion-proof finish like a matte stainless, maybe hard-chrome, or nitride / smoked nitride.

Fudd City? Yeah, I reckon that’s me. :)
No Fudd. If I didn't work in an office where ultra concealment is a must, I would go whole hog, Gov't model, standard GI spec with a corrosion-proof finish.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
It is only FUDD’ish if you talk about a big 1911, but would never carry said pistol. I would love to Miami Vice a metal gun, just not practical for my life style.

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
I'd love to see something like the S&W CSX with a 4.25" barrel, a light rail, a little bit of a beefier safety, and more traditional interchangeable grip scales (I just think the current CSX grips are ugly, grip scales aren't necessarily a dealbreaker). The CSX is the one gun that's tempted me away from my G26, but failed to bring me over to due to the lack of a light rail or any available mounted light. I wouldn't mind carrying a decent commander-sized 1911 but I'm not sure I'd be able to conceal it as well. I'm planning on switching over to an enigma in December, so maybe I'd be able to swing it.

BlackTemplar

Established Member
Dec 29, 2022
Northport
Shield with a longer grip so the 8 round mags fit without the sleeves and a slightly longer barrel. Or a Glock 29 with the longer grip so the mags don’t need a sleeve to fit flush and have a full 3 finger grip, maybe could hold like 12-13 rounds.

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
Shield with a longer grip so the 8 round mags fit without the sleeves and a slightly longer barrel. Or a Glock 29 with the longer grip so the mags don’t need a sleeve to fit flush and have a full 3 finger grip, maybe could hold like 12-13 rounds.
You might be the target audience for the M&P 10mm with 4" barrel. It's within 1/4" of the barrel length of the 29, about an inch longer grip, and 15 round capacity. May be a little long grip-wise, but it's caught my eye before as well.

BlackTemplar

Established Member
Dec 29, 2022
Northport
I have a new idea actually, a small 2011 that takes P365 X Macro 17 round mags, so it would basically be a 2011 version of a Springfield EMP4.

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
Aluminum framed double stack .380 with 3.5 inch barrel, DA/SA but with a more modern design. Not like a Sig P230/232, PPK, Bersa.

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
Aluminum framed double stack .380 with 3.5 inch barrel, DA/SA but with a more modern design. Not like a Sig P230/232, PPK, Bersa.
Have you looked into the Beretta Cheetah 80x? It's got a little longer barrel, but it's 13+1, DA/SA. I think it's aluminum frame as well. Still and old design, but they modernized it pretty well.

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
I guess any H&K with a reddot with a extended magazine. They're great right out of the box. There is a reason why countries buy them. Hand guns and rifles are superior in function and reliability.

Zerofoxtrot

Established Member
Aug 1, 2023
Athens
P365 XL
Wilson Combat Frame ODG (w/ weights)
Holosun EPS Carry MRS Green
TLR7sub with Sig Key
TRex AIWB holster with sidecar

Shocker

Established Member
Mar 26, 2023
Bibb Co
Glock 36 in 10mm with no damn finger grooves, a plus 1 mag bottom for pinkie placement. Optics ready in case I ever want to use it. Thumb safety a la Smith M&P 10mm. Clipdraw.