If you don't use ATF as lube

Kompressor

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Greenville AL
do you really even care about your guns? I mean you might as well throw them on the ground and pee on them.

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
do you really even care about your guns? I mean you might as well throw them on the ground and pee on them.
Seriously though, what are the benefits of transmission fluid over motor oil? Arent both engineered to protect metal parts in extreme heat? I tend to use high temp atomotive grease, but things that don't like grease, like an AR, get the motor oil.

The only difference that I can think of is that tranny fluid isn't made to be used where fouling occurs. Wouldn't that be a negative attribute for gun lube?

GregW

Established Member
Mar 20, 2021
Montgomery
I remember some Marines who shot competition mixing an amount of atf with clip. They said the atf acted as a cleaner. Never tried it. But made sense. Insides of a transmission is clean

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I use Ballistol for cleaning and Militec-1 for lube. That said…I’ve been known to daub juuust a little high-temp marine grease on the high-friction areas of an AR BCG.

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
Seriously though, what are the benefits of transmission fluid over motor oil? Arent both engineered to protect metal parts in extreme heat? I tend to use high temp atomotive grease, but things that don't like grease, like an AR, get the motor oil.

The only difference that I can think of is that tranny fluid isn't made to be used where fouling occurs. Wouldn't that be a negative attribute for gun lube?
I don't know about any other AR's, but I've been putting red high temp grease on my AR's for years with no issues.
I clean with CLP and put a light glaze of high temp grease on all my firearms.

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
DO NOT USE MERCON V! It truly smells like tom cat piss! We had a bottle inside a case leak before I retired and we ran the last generation Crown Vic's that required Mercon V! The case was in our department mailbox/copier room and everyone was going "Damn, did a tom cat get in and spray the copier room". Shit will make you cringe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!