If you had to choose one caliber for two firearms, rifle/long gun and side arm what would you choose and why? I am just curious.

ElusiveX

Established Member
Sep 8, 2022
Perdido, AL
.327 federal would be my choice. Ballistics is the reasoning. It’s a magnum round delivering 1300-1500 fps muzzle velocity out of a 3.5” barrel. The penetration is fantastic and recoil is way lighter than a .357 magnum so comfort factor.

JT300

Smooth Brain in Alabama only local preferred
Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
My first thought is the .357 lever and a revolver. But, today I was looking at that new Henry 9mm semi auto magazine fed rifle. Interesting. Now, what if a similar rifle were to be produced in 10mm? Plenty of 10mm handguns available now. probably would make a more suitable hunting round for deer size game. Dunno what sort of velocity you’d get out of a 18”+/- barrel, but thinking a 180 grain bullet might approach 2K fps. BUT, AFAIK, no one produces any sort of rifle or carbine in 10mm.
you could do a 10mm glock and a smaller 10mm ar. I'm not 100% sure but i think 10mm velocity is negligible after 6in i read that a while ago now tho

JT300

Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
My first thought is the .357 lever and a revolver. But, today I was looking at that new Henry 9mm semi auto magazine fed rifle. Interesting. Now, what if a similar rifle were to be produced in 10mm? Plenty of 10mm handguns available now. probably would make a more suitable hunting round for deer size game. Dunno what sort of velocity you’d get out of a 18”+/- barrel, but thinking a 180 grain bullet might approach 2K fps. BUT, AFAIK, no one produces any sort of rifle or carbine in 10mm.
Thats the new Homesteader Henry right? I like it also i think Three different magazine options

JT300

Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
.327 federal would be my choice. Ballistics is the reasoning. It’s a magnum round delivering 1300-1500 fps muzzle velocity out of a 3.5” barrel. The penetration is fantastic and recoil is way lighter than a .357 magnum so comfort factor.
Id like 327 but isnt the ammo a little scarce ATM

holographicgt

Established Member
Mar 7, 2023
Sylacauga
357 mag would be my personal choice. There are all sorts of rifles out there and for a side arm you could go single action, double action or semiautomatic with the desert eagle if you wanted. Also most 357 firearms will accept 38 special. There are 357 shot shells too if you can find them. So hunting anything in the south is a possibility and 357 is great for personal defense. I knew a old lady in GA that shot a deer with a 38 snub. So 357 will definitely put food on the table.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
9mm for handgun
308 for rifle

Both do the job in a variety of firearms, are reletively inexpensive and readily available (both as finished ammo or reloading components).

JT300

Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
350 legend. Winchester XPR and S&W 350.
i just got a 350 legend upper and like it I know a totally different platform but seems to be a good round and plentiful and affordable. How does it shoot out of a revolver?