Iron sights vs red dot vs scope on ar-15s

Dennis Martin

Established Member
Feb 21, 2017
Spanish Fort Alabama
If this was this was 1974 I could use iron sights out to 300 yards no problem. It's not. Believe me I know it's not. I'll take all I can get....optic...red dot green dot even 50X if I can get it. I want to hit what I aim at.

medic15al

Established Member
Feb 12, 2017
Pell City, Alabama
Irons.

I still shoot my M-16A1 20in with irons well even at 50 years old and half blind. Artificial lens in dominant eye really helps.

Irons are streamlined and add no weight to the rifle.

Magic Show Accident

Established Member
Oct 20, 2020
Fayette
Depends on the purpose. I keep a red dot on a couple of them and BUIS. I have a M&P sport 2 and have always used the factory sites on it. I’ll never put glass on that bc it’s a joy to use the iron site.

gundoc

Established Member
Dec 14, 2016
I rarely have a rifle without both. If your red dot battery dies, gun isn't worth much. Unless you fork out the money for an Aimpoint or Trijicon, never know how much battery you have.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
I have a Trijicon MRO on my DDM4. I can hit steel down to standard popper size at 300 yards off a bench. My eyes are great as long as my blood sugar is under control. I do have a slight astigmatism. That makes the dot a little fuzzy and out of round. It is just noticeable. For precision shots, I place the red dot on the lowest setting I can see to counteract the astigmatism. It helps keep everything tight.

Having said all that, I will say that magnification is helpful. It is easier to spot your target at distance. It makes it easier to spot your misses. You might be able to see a threat sooner. Magnification makes it easier to shoot tiny groups at distance.

My decision to have a red dot is based on the following. My AR is for defense! I want the lightest, fastest gun that will get on target quick. I already have extra weight with my weapon light, BUIS and sling. The forgiving eye relief helps with engaging targets fast and in weird positions. The great field of view helps you stay aware of your surroundings. I estimate that in most scenarios, I would be defending in and around my house.