Just Over 2 Years Ago: British SAS Member in Kenya Responds to Terrorist Attack in Nairobi

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
There’s a lot of info available online about this incident, but I’m a day late in recalling the two-year anniversary of it.

The short version is that Islamist group Al-Shabaab initiated an assault on a hotel and office complex in Nairobi on 15 January 2019, inflicting a number of casualties.

A member of the British Special Air Service (SAS), in-country as part of team conducting training for Kenyan security forces, was nearby as the assault unfolded. He apparently had all of his “kit” in his vehicle, suited-up, and started hunting the bad guys. His image made the rounds on newsfeeds within hours. He was later awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross for his efforts.

Much of what you’ll find online reads like the stuff of movies - I hope an accurate film is forthcoming someday. Reportedly a book may be in the works.

The aftermath has not been without some controversy for the now-former SAS trooper - I won’t delve into all that here, but the info is available online.

Anywho, just an interesting point of history to share.

The nerd in me chuckles that some observers refer to him as “Obi-Wan Nairobi” for his actions haha…

One link and a few images below.

1642382591398.jpeg

1642382613263.jpeg

1642382633112.jpeg

1642382655508.jpeg