King of crappy steel 9mm ammo

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
I think Winchester's bulk steel is the undisputed king of crap ammo. I've had zero problems with monarch and two other Russian made brands of steel 9mm. Today at the range couldn't get more than three to cycle before a case stuck. I kindly offered some to 5 others, 2 Glock, 1 Sig, 1 Taurus and a Smith. Everyone had the same results. The stuff was questionable from the start, instead of the shiney varnish that coats the caviar that is Russian steel, it has a blackish powder like coating that a small amount rubs off when loading mags. This is the worst performance by any ammo I have ever had!! And Winchesters brags that it USA made!! It's in a brown box of 150 that I got from academy, avoid it like a lawyer on commission!!

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I’ve never had Winchester steel but have shot many other steel case and alum case. Glock usually are not picky on ammo so maybe it was a bad batch of ammo. I would take the time to report it Winchester for their qc.

Reactions: Trs

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Honestly Winchester is really only worth it if it's Super X or Silver Tips for hunting. White box is (was) one of the cheapest brass cased ammo you could get in person at most stores but it's always been spotty at best. Not a surprise their steel ammo isn't that great.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Walmart use to sell perfecta alum case and it was one of my favorite ammo to shoot. It was cheap and fired every time.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
Winchester steel case is absolute garbage. I seriously hate that stuff. My VP9 was acting all kinds of weird when shooting it like it's trying to do all it can to not have a FTE (super weak recoil impulse and ejection pattern). I've shot other steel cased ammo, and none of it is as bad as the Winchester steel cased ammo. That lacquer they use is disgusting too. It's like someone let molasses dry on the casing. You can feel some grittiness in it too.

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
This stuff has some kind of black powdery crap on it that rubs off when you load it. If only it had the smooth lacquer that coats Russian caviar.

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
I contacted Winchester today, they were surprisingly helpful, they want the ammo and are willing to pay for it's shipping and replacement. Was one of the best customer service interactions I have ever had. Hopefully the return and refund go half as well.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Winchester forged steel 9mm ammo is complete crap, it jams in any gun I tested it in (over a dozen)

I am so glad I only bought 200 rounds of it, will never buy again. All the wolf/tula and other cheap import steel case has never given me trouble in any gun.

This is not an isolated case.

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
I bought a 150 pack due to Academy still having a 2 box limit, Blazer brass was cheaper per round but only had 50 packs, bought one of each trying to have some range ammo, never again. Monarch, wolf, and tula have all performed flawlessly for me. Looks like Winchester is willing to do the right thing, I hope.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
The white box is usually pretty decent, but there is a recall out right now on some of it

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
Recall is also on some Winchester red box (USA ready) and Herters, best to go winchester.com and check it out.

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
Got my check today from Winchester, they were a bit slow to pay, but they did, overall my interactions with their customer service department was above average. Lucy me I went by an academy this weekend and they had Monarch 9mm in stock, hello Russian steel cased caviar!!.

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
I even stay away from the Winchester white box of trash. I was running it in my G19 and a round literally fell apart going into the chamber. The bullet came out of the casing and the powder spilt out. Crazy.