Left-handed M16

ron1948

Established Member
Nov 6, 2021
Talladega, Alabama
When I was in the army over 50 years ago, I, like all my fellow troops had to qualify with the M16. I am right-handed but my father was left-handed so that is how I learned to shoot. For the life of me I cannot shoot right-handed. Well, I don't know how it is today but back then the M16 ejected the HOT brass straight back and right down my collar. I had to wrap a scarf around my neck to prevent getting burned. That is the reason I chose to carry a shotgun instead of the M16. Also in a jungle situation most encounters were close quarters and a shotgun with 00 buckshot was much more effective at close range than the puny 5.56 rounds. Did anyone else from that era have the burned neck syndrome from the M16?

Bazookajor

Established Member
Dec 3, 2021
Dothan
I'm assuming this was before brass deflectors were added? either way thank you for your service!
like all my fellow troops had to qualify with the M16. I am right-handed but my father was left-handed so that is how I learned to shoot. For the life of me I cannot shoot right-handed. Well, I don't know how it is today but back then the M16 ejected the HOT brass straight back and right down my collar. I had to wrap a scarf around my neck to prevent getting burned. That is the reason I chose to carry a shotgun instead of the M16. Also in a jungle situation most encounters were close quarters and a shotgun with 00 buckshot was much more effective at clos

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Indeed @ron1948 thank you for your service!

@Bazookajor your comment made me remember why I switched from left-hand to right-hand long-gun shooting.

I’m a righty but am left-eye dominant. I shoot handguns right-handed but found left-handed shooting of long-guns easier.

One day I bought a PSA 9mm AR, a gun that remains one of my favorites. The only downside to this gun is that it has NO brass deflector. Shooting left-handed, I was getting occasional brass but also just powder / blast debris / whatever to the face.