Micro Compact 9mm Ammo out of a 3in barrel?

closing

Keep most Sales within Alabama and on this Forum.
Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
Would there be any disadvantages or advantages to a lighter grain vs a heavier grain bullet or visa versa in a barrel around 3 inches? Curious about anyone's opinion. Thank you.

Grooper

Established Member
Jul 8, 2021
Florence AL
Yes. The heavier grain weights tend to lose less velocity than the lighter ones due to less air space in the cartridge case. But that being said the heavier grain weight bullets for 9mm fall below expansion threshold easier than the lighter ones. And remember I am painting with very broad brushstrokes rn; there are always exceptions.

LAHunter

Jun 6, 2021
Deer Park
I shoot lighter weight bullets in my concealed carry pistols simply for reduced recoil. I generally shoot heavier bullets in full size pistols. Your mileage may vary.

closing

Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
Wrong idea. If a hollowpoint expands then yes, more damage. But wound channel is completely dependent on bullet design and if it's given enough velocity.
Ok thank you I believe I went wrong direction with my research. When you say "if" it expands it is mainly to do with hollow point or velocity or maybe a combo? Do FMJ not expand at all?

Grooper

Established Member
Jul 8, 2021
Florence AL
Ok thank you I believe I went wrong direction with my research. When you say "if" it expands it is mainly to do with hollow point or velocity or maybe a combo? Do FMJ not expand at all?
No Fmj ammo even when it's low powered target ammo slips through just about any organic material without deformity at all. So the expansion happens when the soft lead inside a hard jacket hits some sort of fluid material like gelatin or soft flesh. Now you can imagine that the hollow point cavity can be whatever shape someone can think of, that and how the thick the jacket is, along with the general design, influences how a bullet can expand.

closing

Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
No Fmj ammo even when it's low powered target ammo slips through just about any organic material without deformity at all. So the expansion happens when the soft lead inside a hard jacket hits some sort of fluid material like gelatin or soft flesh. Now you can imagine that the hollow point cavity can be whatever shape someone can think of, that and how the thick the jacket is, along with the general design, influences how a bullet can expand.
Thanks!