My Favorite Fixed-Blade

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
A few years back, I was in a local sporting goods store in search of a small fixed-blade knife for everyday carry. I had selected a nice little ESEE-brand knife, but the store associate at the counter asked if I had 30 or so minutes to wait on an artisan out of Tennessee who was due to bring some of his knives to the store for sale that day.

I did - and wound up being pretty glad I did. Dee Kistner was the knifemaker, and I purchased one of his Pocket Drop models on the spot. It came with a mighty handy horizontal Kydex sheath. Shown here in some pics from this past autumn.

I’m not certain that Mr. Kistner is still in the blade business, or at least in the same capacity. I’d like to snag another of these if I could.

While I don’t literally carry this daily (sometimes it’s a Kershaw Blur), this one gets the job done for sure.

1641513431495.jpeg

1641513454184.jpeg

1641513474500.jpeg

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Good-looking knife. I own and ESEE-3 MIL and like it, but the knife I find myself going to the most for skinning is an old $10-15 Mora.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I wish I could remember which ESEE I’d picked, as I’m sure I’d grab one still haha!

Mugi-wara

Established Member
Jan 3, 2022
NW Bama
@4CERTN , That is a sweet looking blade! The lure of a handmade knife is strong, not trying to be nosey, but was this North or South of the price of the ESEE?

Only reason I ask, I have been thinking about getting a new knife for my son and have been looking at a couple of models from ESEE. He has really gotten into bush crafting lately, and I would like to get him something which will last.

@Dfalt - I too really like the cheap Mora knives. For the money, they are tough to beat. I have given one to most all of my nephews.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Thank you @Mugi-wara and I think the Kistner was very close to the ESEE price-wise - I think it was $125-ish or so at the time (this was 5 or so years ago).

Mugi-wara

Established Member
Jan 3, 2022
NW Bama
@Dfalt , thanks for the suggestion! I was looking at the four and the six. I noticed they have the loner program, try before you buy. I was seriously considering the idea of trying them out before I made up my mind.

The six may be too big, hard to tell just from pictures.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
@Dfalt , thanks for the suggestion! I was looking at the four and the six. I noticed they have the loner program, try before you buy. I was seriously considering the idea of trying them out before I made up my mind.

The six may be too big, hard to tell just from pictures.
I've seen the 4 and the 6 in person and yeah I think the 6 is too big; basically a mini machete. The 4 is perfect for a bushcraft/utility knife.

Last edited:

Davyalabama

Established Member
Jan 7, 2022
Pike Road
I use an old Ka-Bar, no, it does not have a serrated edge. It is an old one I picked up at an army/navy store years ago. It will take and retain an edge very well, plus it has plenty of meat to the blade if I need it. It has cleaned everything from turkeys, to deer, oppossums, coons, squirrels, ... you get the drift.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I use an old Ka-Bar, no, it does not have a serrated edge. It is an old one I picked up at an army/navy store years ago. It will take and retain an edge very well, plus it has plenty of meat to the blade if I need it. It has cleaned everything from turkeys, to deer, oppossums, coons, squirrels, ... you get the drift.
My dad had an old Ka-Bar that belonged to one of my granduncles when he served in Korea that he used to skin deer with. He lost it though and I really wish I could find it somewhere.

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
Sure am glad I found this thread.
Been needing a good EDC fixed blade. Have been eyeing the ESSE's and some others. Almost grabbed one, saw the "loaner program" and decided to try one first - then saw they were out of everything on the loaners...

I hate buying things without being able to lay hands on first, but don't know anywhere around here to check them out. You gents seem to have a pretty high opinion of them so I may just order one up.