My First...I foresee a very expensive "hobbie" developing....!!

DC0509

EVERYONE Needs to Read the Constitution!
Dec 9, 2020
Shelby County
shtf2-edit.jpg

Yea...I could see this getting somewhat out of hand quickly if we (my wife) doesnt keep it in check! ;) This is my first and seeing as Im somewhat green in the AR universe I decided to start on the conservative side as far as $$$ investment goes. TBH I am thoroughly impressed with this rifle! So I started out with the PSA PA-15 16" M4 PHOSPHATE 5.56 NATO 1/7 CLASSIC RIFLE in OLIVE DRAB GREEN for my base thanks to a "mouse-click misfire" coupled with a breakdown in attention which I believe could partially be attributed to the almost infinite configurations available for this platform which is definitely a GREAT problem to have! Given the fact that Palmetto State Armory does not allow returns after the FFL pickup, I immediately purchased the PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 NITRIDE MOE FREEDOM UPPER along with the PSA AR-15 BOLT CARRIER GROUP 5.56 FULL-AUTO NITRIDE MPI seeing as that configuration was my original intent. I immediately installed a ATI Outdoors AR-15 Classic Pistol Grip and a Advanced Technology Vertical 3-Position Folding Forend Grip and swapped to a Breek Arms AR-15 Warhammer Mod2 Ambidextrous Charging Handle. Im really interested in hearing from some "AR OG's" here on our forum and maybe getting some feedback on my mods as well as some advice and direction on what mods could potentially be beneficial in the future.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Congrats on your first AR! Here's a few suggestions that might get you started on the right path:

- Bump that red dot up a little on the receiver and add a backup rear sight to go with your fixed front sight in case the red dot goes down. You can probably get a lower 3rd co-witness (i.e irons are visible in the lower 3rd of your optic) with that particular red dot and mount setup
- Get a sling! Blue Force Gear Vicker's sling is one of the best around but it's kinda pricey; Magpul also makes a good AR sling as well.
- Your mileage may vary but I'd hazard to guess that you're probably not going to end up liking that folding vertical grip in the end. Take it out shooting and see what you think but most people these days either run a shorter vertical grip, an angled grip, or no foregrip at all.
- That light setup is a little unorthodox; most people have it set up the opposite way (i.e. the light is mounted on one side and the tape switch is mounted up top). If that's a Streamlight I believe they make a cradle that can go on your top rail that the tape switch sits into.

Hope these help; have fun shooting!

DC0509

EVERYONE Needs to Read the Constitution!
Dec 9, 2020
Shelby County
Congrats on your first AR! Here's a few suggestions that might get you started on the right path:

- Bump that red dot up a little on the receiver and add a backup rear sight to go with your fixed front sight in case the red dot goes down. You can probably get a lower 3rd co-witness (i.e irons are visible in the lower 3rd of your optic) with that particular red dot and mount setup
- Get a sling! Blue Force Gear Vicker's sling is one of the best around but it's kinda pricey; Magpul also makes a good AR sling as well.
- Your mileage may vary but I'd hazard to guess that you're probably not going to end up liking that folding vertical grip in the end. Take it out shooting and see what you think but most people these days either run a shorter vertical grip, an angled grip, or no foregrip at all.
- That light setup is a little unorthodox; most people have it set up the opposite way (i.e. the light is mounted on one side and the tape switch is mounted up top). If that's a Streamlight I believe they make a cradle that can go on your top rail that the tape switch sits into.

Hope these help; have fun shooting!
Great Advice! Thanks @Dfalt for always coming with the wisdom! I actually have a sling for it but Im not a fan of the mount on the factory supplied stock,:eek: so how did I turn a frown upside-down? I just ordered the Adaptive Tactical EX Performance Adjustable MILSPEC Stock w/ Rubber Buttpad and it should be here next week so catastrophe averted! :cool: Now for the folding vertical grip...I purchased a VISM Tac Rifle Scabbard for the fast approaching SHTF season in an effort to maintain my primary focus which is overall mobility. However I wasn't aware that even a stubby Magpul Industries MVG- MOE Vertical Grip would be too much for the VISM to handle?!!?:oops: Seems more like a scabbard for maybe a Brooklyn Basher or something along those lines...but I digress, that is the cluster fudgesicle of a situation that prompted the folding foregrip purchase. :rolleyes: I am looking into potentially grabbing a Sig Juliet3 Micro to pair with my Sig Romeo-MSR but Im wondering if the combination would still leave room for the iron sight...or would that be too much furniture in one room? I do like the idea of having the backup irons for the inevitable sh-t happens though. Looking forward to hearing what yall think! Again thanks for the wisdoms fellas!

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Great Advice! Thanks @Dfalt for always coming with the wisdom! I actually have a sling for it but Im not a fan of the mount on the factory supplied stock,:eek: so how did I turn a frown upside-down? I just ordered the Adaptive Tactical EX Performance Adjustable MILSPEC Stock w/ Rubber Buttpad and it should be here next week so catastrophe averted! :cool: Now for the folding vertical grip...I purchased a VISM Tac Rifle Scabbard for the fast approaching SHTF season in an effort to maintain my primary focus which is overall mobility. However I wasn't aware that even a stubby Magpul Industries MVG- MOE Vertical Grip would be too much for the VISM to handle?!!?:oops: Seems more like a scabbard for maybe a Brooklyn Basher or something along those lines...but I digress, that is the cluster fudgesicle of a situation that prompted the folding foregrip purchase. :rolleyes: I am looking into potentially grabbing a Sig Juliet3 Micro to pair with my Sig Romeo-MSR but Im wondering if the combination would still leave room for the iron sight...or would that be too much furniture in one room? I do like the idea of having the backup irons for the inevitable sh-t happens though. Looking forward to hearing what yall think! Again thanks for the wisdoms fellas!
I don't have any experience with magnifiers unfortunately but if you move your red dot as far on the receiver as it will go you should have just enough room for a magnifier and a flip up rear sight.

Griz375

Established Member
Feb 15, 2021
W TN, 38105
Well, now that you're here, you'll need to get it gear to catch up.
HINT!
If you get your DW involved in this addiction you'll have a partner in crime as well as life and there'll be less quibbling over purchases.

Just saying . . . . . .