Sold/Found Mystery Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum (SOLD)

TheHammer

Established Member
Jun 7, 2021
Elkmont, AL
Today we have a mystery. Most likely this is a miss-stamped no-dash Model 686 stamped as a 681. However, I cannot say that for certain as I do not have a letter on the revolver. It may be worthwhile to get the letter.
I can say it is a very nice shooter.
Mechanically the revolver is in excellent condition with no issues and bank vault lockup and timing.
Condition wise it does show some handling use and a little mark below the cylinder.
Grips are nice and have amazing grain.
I do not have the box or documents for this one.

$1250
Current AL DL & CCW required for purchase

Call me: two56-278-5598

Thank you,

-TheHammer

IMG-0056.jpg

IMG-0057.jpg

IMG-0055.jpg

EDIT:
To answer Bama55's questions and maybe clear up some confusion:

IMG-1128.jpg

IMG-1129.jpg

Last edited:

kthomson

Established Member
Nov 24, 2020
Birmingham
Reading up on that, 681's came with fixed sights and 686's came with adjustable sights. Looks like yours has adjustable, but maybe was added at some point? Either way, sure is a fine piece of iron you have there.

TheHammer

Established Member
Jun 7, 2021
Elkmont, AL
That's right. I believe most of the 681's were 4", but regarding the sights...that's where the letter would come in handy.
Thank you,
-TheHammer

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
There is a chance, although slim, that the crane has been replaced. It probably shipped from S&W like that, but, is there a star stamped on the butt, near the serial number, or under the barrel, or possibly a date stamped on the grip frame, near the butt?

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
It would be worth the $75.00 to get a letter from Roy Jinks on this one. One of two things, the wrong crane was installed at S&W or the crane was replaced after it left the factory. Best I can tell it was made Nov-Dec 1983. That is during the transition period to 3 letter prefix serial numbers. If you decide to get a letter be sure and send pics of the grip frame markings. I believe they are assembly markings, but a letter would give you all the info on it.